cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harold1066
Message 141 of 693

Re: Possible Scam?

I too had a call suposidly from BT - asian sounding person named David Wilson. Number he called from was 0018302572832.

Obviously a scam. When I told him as much he said he would suspend my internet connection for a month to prove he was genuine.

Clearly the number is spoofed somehow.

Is there anything that can be done to stop these calls when they come into the network? Is anything being done to bring these criminals to book?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 142 of 693

@harold1066 wrote:

I too had a call suposidly from BT - asian sounding person named David Wilson. Number he called from was 0018302572832.

Obviously a scam. When I told him as much he said he would suspend my internet connection for a month to prove he was genuine.

Clearly the number is spoofed somehow.

Is there anything that can be done to stop these calls when they come into the network? Is anything being done to bring these criminals to book?

There's a post very similar to yours re this caller on a website which checks, or reports nuisance callers.

There are call blocking devices available, including a new BT service being introduced.

It's a slow process of elimination. However,  your instinct should tell you whether a caller is suspect.

Your caller display indication is the first step.

e.g. Number shows as  international, but yet has U.K. Format.

Not much consolation for the elderly and vulnerable!

0 Ratings
harold1066
Message 143 of 693

Thanks. I worked out that it was a scam from my caller display prior to answering.

Since the caller is pretending to be BT I was hoping that they would be able to take some action to block these calls when they reach the BT network.

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 144 of 693

ribblelancs,

This system you mention is a start, but it will only work if the caller uses the same number each time, which they don't!

For example, I am bombarded, 2 or 3 times a day, by recorded calls about free boiler replacement. When I do a 1471 check, I find they originate from different UK numbers, so no point trying to block them.( I don't have the service for this very reason)

Telephone preference service is a joke too, as most callers don't bother to check whether a phone number is registered, so although they are breaking the law, they know little will be done, as it is too much hassle to report them!

Heres one for the suggestion box:

If they can automate most things nowadays, so why not have an automatic system for reporting TPF breaches?

One could dial one single national number, which automatically notes your caller ID, and then asks you to supply the number of originator of the offending call! When enough people report the same offender, action could be taken immediately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 145 of 693

@SwanseaMick wrote:

ribblelancs,

This system you mention is a start, but it will only work if the caller uses the same number each time, which they don't!

For example, I am bombarded, 2 or 3 times a day, by recorded calls about free boiler replacement. When I do a 1471 check, I find they originate from different UK numbers, so no point trying to block them.( I don't have the service for this very reason)

Telephone preference service is a joke too, as most callers don't bother to check whether a phone number is registered, so although they are breaking the law, they know little will be done, as it is too much hassle to report them!

Heres one for the suggestion box:

If they can automate most things nowadays, so why not have an automatic system for reporting TPF breaches?

One could dial one single national number, which automatically notes your caller ID, and then asks you to supply the number of originator of the offending call! When enough people report the same offender, action could be taken immediately.

There's something called the ICO for these things. They do act evntually.

You can always buy a BT call blocking phone, which doesn't actually block the caller, but interrogates them before letting them through. Similar to making a call to a call centre, where you end up throwing your hands in the air and give up!!!

It's a matter of choice, but it looks as if things will go that way ultimately.

Personally, I prefer a direct call blocker, and if an unknown caller rings, then don't answer.....let him/her leave a message. These things work both ways. They soon lose interest if ignored - like a child calling for attention.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 146 of 693

Ribblelancs,

I did know that it's the ICO where one reports TPF breaches, but as I stated, it is too much hassle, they want to know the ins and outs of a ducks a***, when you try to report a breach. Why? All they need is the report of a breach and the number being used! Get too many people reporting the same number, and it's clear there are problems, and the number can be permanently blocked from making calls! That will focus their minds when their income stops!

I waste enough time answering unwanted calls, without wasting more reporting them. Make it simpler and more people might report them, and so end the problem!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 147 of 693

@SwanseaMick wrote:

Ribblelancs,

I did know that it's the ICO where one reports TPF breaches, but as I stated, it is too much hassle, they want to know the ins and outs of a ducks a***, when you try to report a breach. Why? All they need is the report of a breach and the number being used! Get too many people reporting the same number, and it's clear there are problems, and the number can be permanently blocked from making calls! That will focus their minds when their income stops!

I waste enough time answering unwanted calls, without wasting more reporting them. Make it simpler and more people might report them, and so end the problem!

I haven't had too much difficulty in reporting calls to ICO via the Ofcom website.

As you say they have delay in responding, and this will depend on the numbers reporting.

The new BT Call Protect service looks promising. It will, of course, only reduce the number of nuisance calls and not eliminate them. You can select calls by type, e.g. out of area, and even withheld (a big risk), and these will divert any messages to a "junk" section, which you can play back as and when. At least you don't lose a call.

It will however block up to 100 calls, i.e. no message recorded, as I see it.

There are other devices e.g. the BT Phones with Call Guardian, and also separate units, which connect between line and phone. Some have special features, e.g. blocking the first few digits of a number, for those who keep switching the last few digits. (ICO also stopped one such caller very quickly.

I was once getting up to 5 nuisance calls per day. This is now reduced to 1 or 2 per week, (tempting fete, perhaps). You still have the odd bad day however.

0 Ratings
altimeter300
Beginner
Message 148 of 693

Re: BT Scam?

The call back from scammmers happens to me every time my 150 land line call goes to BT Indian call centres to discuss my account. Regular as clockwork, if I call (or use online) chat) then between 0830 and 0900 the next morning I will get a scam call from someone pretending to be from BT who claims to know I have a problem. I have had to call BT every month at random times for the last 8 months to get a refund on my line rental, as BT keeps charging me in error when I have clearly paid for a year in advance (it says so on my bill!). So this is not a coincidence, indeed I can invoke a scammer call any time I want by just calling the centre, and I never get these calls under any other circumstaces. So what exactly is BT doing about the obvious probability that call centre customer security has been compromised, and information is being passed to third parties?

0 Ratings
daleromanov
Message 149 of 693

Only been with BT for 1 week and 4 scam calls ( hacked router).
0 Ratings
SteveRiley
Beginner
Message 150 of 693

Re: New India Phone Scam

I am amazed that after 4 years this is still going on and no action has been taken. It is simple cut India off from the UK network, it will concentrate the minds of the Indian government to take action, fast. My phone block list is full, 80% of the directory is full of scam numbers (low ring tone so they don't get answered) and I have had to buy my own, even larger capacity blocking device.

I have had insulting calls from India when they try the MS windows scam, some even know my address and yet BT still uses a leaky call centre, how much other data is removed at the same time? I did get fed up with the insulting woman and suggested that sex and travel might be a good idea and put the phone down.

Does BT actually bother to read through these forums and take action to protect our data?

0 Ratings