cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 151 of 693

Re: New India Phone Scam

@SteveRiley 

most spam calls come from VOIP services (internet phones ) not a phone line so no provider can cut them off as they re not using the phone network network 

0 Ratings
leny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 152 of 693

Have had several of these scam calls over the last couple of years, more than once correctly quoting our account number.

My favourite was the chap who got more and more agitated when I refused to give him access to our PC. He told me he had no alternative but to send a signal down the line to destroy our router and that we would be banned from the internet for 3 years!

Have signed up to Call Protect to see if it will block these muppets.

0 Ratings
SteveRiley
Beginner
Message 153 of 693

@john46- Yes I was being very simplistic, as an ex computer and telecomms engineer and a systems programmer I learnt a long time ago not to get technical at all, people at the top only understand bullet points and anything more than that they glaze over. I could go into considerably more detail has to the mechanisms used but the hammer to crack a nut solution would concentrate the minds to deal with what is a very big nut. As an additional comment I knew 30 years ago how to spoof numbers so it isn't a new technique but technology has just easier made it for the criminals, which is what they are.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 154 of 693

I first started this thread back August 2016, and it is still going on! When will senior management in BT get off the fence and do something constructive for once!

These people are out and out criminals, riding on the back of BT's call centres in India, yet BT doesn't seem to care, repeatdly spouting the mantra that it must be a coincidence we get these calls so soon after reporting a fault.

IT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE, TAKE ACTION NOW!

0 Ratings
NickRH1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 155 of 693

Leny - Don't hold your breath. The first call I had after setting up BT Call Protect was from one of these would-be scammers; They used a spoof number (one digit short of a real one). When a dialled 1572 to "block" the number, I got a message that it was not possible as the number was unobtainable! What a suprise...

I fail to understand why BT's system cannot be set up to pick of these spoof numbers, VOIP genererated or otherwise, BEFORE they get through to customers. They can track all my outgoing calls, and my broadband traffic - so they can bill me of course - so why not incoming calls?

And while we're at it, I've just been emailed again by BT (apparently genuine) to install BT Virus Protect. Don't bother with that either, particularly if you have a Mac. What a pile of poop that is - a re-hashed and out-of-date McAfee product that takes over. Firstly, it took 3 DAYS (yes, DAYS) to download and work - a combination of the poor Broadband service we have and the size of the files being downloaded I guess, Secondly, it wasn't at all user friendly - no support available either, Thirdly, it had a massive negative effect on the running of my MAc...Slooooowwww..., Then finally, it took forever to get rid of it - even after using the (hidden) Uninstall file, I found quite a few huge files tucked away on my hard-drive; I think I got rid of them all, but I can't be sure, though performance is much better again. (It didn't find any viruses, just a couple of adware programmes that had snuck in.

All in all - sorry for the rant - but I really am getting thoroughly cheesed off with BT and their santimonious and patronising attitude, misleading adverts/flyers and poor service. If you've bothered to read this far - thanks for "listening"..

0 Ratings
Message 156 of 693

Re: Possible Scam?

I've had around 20 of these calls over the last couple of days

Male and female callers and always with Indian accent

Need to get a call blocker

0 Ratings
v12glr
Message 157 of 693

Seems the 'Indian' scam is back in force...have had 15 calls over the last 2 days from aan Indian gentleman claiming to be from BT, saying he needs to discuss a problem with my router, to the affect that every time i go on-line I am allowing hackers in due to a fault on the router.I hugn up the first time and have ignored the calls since....for what it is worth the caller is using 0208 658 8899 , but then flashes to an International call ....also...when you initially answer it takes a few secoinds for the Indian 'gentleman' to answer from his side...another obvious sign of banked telephone calls!!!

Take care all.....

0 Ratings
OldCoder
Message 158 of 693

Also been pestered since router/hub installed at my 92-year-old mothers, and never before. I had also noticed that the router reset around the start of each call (orange light, then flashes, then solid blue), but otherwise solid blue.  Today the router reset several times, and a number of silent calls occurred before the main one.  Sufficient disturbance to rate being called a denial of service.  Surely this must be rogue BT engineers or someone with links to the organisation (suspect to overseas call centres).  Could this be a remote line test/disconnection?  How much more access do these people have?  Please BT, investigate this.

0 Ratings
DJ_A
Beginner
Message 159 of 693

I have just had the same call from caller with Asian accent from  a numer 02985675640. Googled the number and it seems non-existent.   Just signed up to BT Call Protect. Maybe that will stop these nuiscance calls.  

0 Ratings
sunmalhotra
Message 160 of 693

Had a call from a call center in India. I was told by this person that he was calling from BT and that my broadband was showing errors and that he was going help me to check the line. He asked me to open BT page on computer. Then he asked me to close the page and asked me what keys I had next to my ctrl key. He then realsied I was on a Mac laptop. So he asked me to open a windows computer. This started to look very suspecious. I had switched on my windows pc and apparently he could read my computer number. I asked him what was my name and address to confirm if he was actually from BT. Which he was unable to do. At that moment I asked him to get off the line and that I would contact BT myself. I came on here and realised this kind of criminal activity has been on for some time.

0 Ratings