cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xlicit
Message 291 of 693

Re: Possible Scam?

I just had a suspicious call in last 20mins. They first started the conversation saying line is dodgy so will have to disconnect. Which at first i believed as recently i had to get bt to come fix it and they pit me on a spare of a spare in a sense. But then they changed subject to malicious packets been sent down my line was a concern. By this point i called them on there bluff. Said if you want to notify me to email me or send letter not by call. They were asking what devices i had comnected seeing if got pc which again i said no. They even tried to say look were not scammers. Let me pass you to my manager.

Never had this at my old adress already sick of scam calls this weekend. I hope nobody falls for this! Was v believable.
0 Ratings
basketcase1
Message 292 of 693

Re: Possible Scam? 0161 818 8583

Does anyone recognise the number 0161 818 8583?

Just had a call from a very polite gent with an Indian accent (called Robin Richards, he said).  Apparently there are people misusing my Internet service and he wanted to help me sort it out.

I tod him I never answered these calls, but would ring him back and got this number.  When I said "0161" that sounds familiar, he knew it was a Manchester prefix.  Several closely related numbers are scams.

Doubt I'm going to ring back.

0 Ratings
Hanneke
Beginner
Message 293 of 693

I just had what I think a scam call from an Indian man. Intetestingly, I came on here to hope to get help with a BTYhoo/Flickr login issue. Everything kerps reverting back to my btyahoo email... I have posted for help on the yahoo help forum the day before yesterday. I too feel someone has access to records, can this really be co-incidence???
0 Ratings
NickCorn
Message 294 of 693

This morning I received an identical call although the call was to tell me that "foreign hackers were attempting to get into my IP address"; I became suspicious once they asked me to undertake some action from a command line. I would like to think that I am not gullible; but for the main the call was convincing. I called BT sales to see if the call was real and was informed that they had been aware of such calls for a few months. 

I see that this issue has been going on for quite some time, surely BT can block these call centres or use there commercial influence in India to stop this.

0 Ratings
KD1
Message 295 of 693

I took a call this afternoon from a very convincng Indian gentleman who said he was from BT Security and that they had detected unidentified files were being downloaded over my internet connection.

He provided my with what he said was a unique customer ID then asked me to verify that this ID was on my computer.  He talked me through the process by which I could access this ID number on my computer.

I said that unless he could provide me with his name and a reference for the call which I could check through a varifiable BT telephone number I was not prepared to continue the conversation.  At this point he said 'thank you' and hung up.

I dialed 1471, this is the number that came up 020 3097 6000.  I've tried to call it back a couple of times and it's constantly engaged.

What was he trying to get???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 296 of 693

KD1

He is trying to get access to your computer. Once you allow access he will install malware which will allow him/others to harvest log on details etc for any accounts such as banking, Amazon, email etc which will then allow them to use these details at will in order to steal from you.

BT will never contact you by an unsolicited phone call to tell you anything about what your Internet connection is doing.

Never allow anybody who telephones you access your computer no matter what they tell you.  

0 Ratings
Message 297 of 693

Hi @KD1 and welcome.

@gg30340 is correct. You did the right thing by getting rid of the caller. BT would never cold call you asking to access your computer etc.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
BigE123
Message 298 of 693

We have had three calls today all from a foreign call centre proporting to be BT and saying there was an issue with my broadband, when it got to the point where he asked me to logon to my PC I hung up, they rang back another two times all calls showing different numbers: 00363667471, 00475383265 and 00229899691

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 299 of 693

Have had 5 calls in the last week all Indian ish, calling themselves Bob Smith or whatever, saying we are showing malicious packets on your IP and if it continues we will cut of the internet for 2 weeks.

Told them we have no internet and hung up, they do not call again that day.

It is obviously another spate of scam phone calls doing the rounds.

They are just as bad with supposed Surveys etc.

Any Indian/Pakistani who rings claiming to have a normal English name is treated as a scam artist from the start.

Unless I actually ring BT or Openreach I do not believe any of them.

The ID number they ask you to check if you ever get that far, is the normal Windows Software Id and everybody has the same ident using windows, so it is no proof whatsoever. That is what the Microsoft scam calls use to try and convince you also.

0 Ratings
dawning
Beginner
Message 300 of 693

I think you could just ignore them. Don't provide any information to them, and don't call back next time. You could just report them to the FTC/FCC. I never answer any questions from strangers over the phone. It's better to just hang up on them. You could also report the number to website like http://whycall.me to make people know they are scammers. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings