cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raita
Beginner
Message 321 of 704

Re: Possible Scam?

100% genuine scam!  They want to take over your computer to do something nasty.

0 Ratings
Raita
Beginner
Message 322 of 704

Re: Scam call

I checked that number on 'Who called me', it is classed as dangerous, loads of similar complaints.
0 Ratings
RhysMarston
Message 323 of 704

Re: Possible Indian Scam?

These people just won't give up! This is the "story" I get just to put everyone in the know:

"Hello there Mr Marston my name is ______ and I am calling from BT. We have had numerous reports in your area that the internet speeds and connections are poor and I would like to take a few details to prevent this from happening to yourselves. Firstly, could I please take the serial number and the MAC code from the back of your router"

At this point I start lecturing them on how my speeds are just fine (running at approx 50mbps download) and in the politest way possible tell them to clear off. HOWEVER, they won't give up! Please guys don't give them any info as they're obviously going to scam you somehow. 

Once I had finished with them, I love being told to 'F off you don't know anything!' 

0 Ratings
jonosmith85
Message 324 of 704

Re: New India Phone Scam

It is a scam, as BT would never call you regarding this, they will require you to call them, i used to work for BT and we never called customers like that out the blue, as a customer will most likley notice their internet speed is slow before we will. best thing to do if they call like this is to say to them "Can i call you back, as i am not comfortable with this call, and tell them my internet connection is fine" If they do work at BT they will simply say thats fine and they would welcome people being cautious of cold calling. If they are scammers they will tell you not to hang up, and they become desperate you can hear it in their voice, remember they aint salesman they are 'suppossed' to be tech guys for help. 

Just be cautious with cold calling, these scammers are desperate and get aggressive when you refuse what they want you to do! 

0 Ratings
crick1
Message 325 of 704

Had two calls theis morning along the same lines.

The call came from a local number 01883 ******.

BT - can you investigate &/or block please.

0 Ratings
Message 326 of 704

Received a call on Friday from an Indian Call Centre representative who claimed to be from BT.  This person stated that they had noted a number errors being reported on the broadband connection which they were calling to help with.  I was immediately wary and asked for my customer number.  They said that it would be listed on my computer, all I had to do was run CMD and ASSOC.  I googled this in parallel and could see that this command was associated with a scam.  The idea is that you go to be bottom of the command result and the agent will read out what they 'have on file' .  The truth is that the command is the same for everybody.  The intention of this step is to establish trust, then the next one is to ask you to type in a command providing remote takeover of your machine so they can 'fix the problem' that doesn't exist.  When I said that I was still deciding whether or not to cooperate, the agent said that they were definitely from BT and that this call was being recorded for security and training purposes, so he couldn't do anything wrong !!  At this stage I told the person that they called me, not the other way around, and that this was a scam.  I hung up.

After this I did call BT and had them run analysis on my line and it was fine.  They also confirmed that if there was a problem there was nothing that I needed to do from my computer.

This type of scam has been identified on this forum for many years now.  It must be an 'oldie' but 'goodie' because its still running! 

BE INFORMED AND BE SAFE !

0 Ratings
Cal59
Beginner
Message 327 of 704

Just had a similar call and when I asked him to give me the name of the account holder he put the phone down. He  had said feedback from my computer showed it was allowing junk files to be downloaded. I use triple redundant security so I was immediately suspicious

My advice is ask for account related info eg account holder and postcode or account number

It might be naughty but whistling down the line when you recognise a scam call, seems to reduce repeats from the same source. This was a lesson learned from repeated calls about a supposed recent accident we had suffered. Just two lots of whistling finished the plague of such calls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 328 of 704

Scam Numbers

Hello

I've been getting calls alledgedly from BT claiming I have a fault with my computer and the BT Wireless Hub. 

Obviously this was a scam as they hung up when I was repeatedly asking how they got my number and to confirm my account details with me. 

Can I get the following numbers reported please:

They are chopping and changing numbers and impossible to block, I have even got BT Nuisance phones which are supposedly to block these calls Smiley Frustrated

Any advice appreciated, thanks

0 Ratings
bustagasket
Message 329 of 704

Unfortuneately I think I have fallen prey to this scam this morning.  Before I knew it they had asked me to check my bank account for a compensation fee and then before I knew it they were remotely using my computer behind a black screen with BT openreach o it.  could see me cursor moving.  They asked me to check if the monry had been received and they made a mistake and it said that they had put £2204.56 in my account.  They then said there was an error on the system and needed to call me back tomorrow, but I will be at work so they said they would call on Friday. Now I am terrified that they have acces to my ponline banking.  I turned the machine off after the call as I couldnt move my mouse and they rang back and told me to turn it on as they had to complete their back up but when I saw my mouse nmoving again I closed the little icon on my task bar.  I have very little money in my bank but am now afraid it has been compromised.

I am now a terrified fool, I thought it odd that they said I had errors on my router as I have only just upgraded it!

0 Ratings
Message 330 of 704

Hi @bustagasket and welcome.

I'm sorry you've had problems with scammers. I would advise that you should contact your bank as soon as possible and explain what has happened. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings