cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cranfield
Contributor
Message 341 of 693

Re: Possible Scam?

BT aren't interested, I am not sure why any of us expect any different response from them.

0 Ratings
neillybeg
Message 342 of 693

I've had a similar call today. BT should note these scammers have hijacked a BT webpage btopenreach.webnode.com (Edited to remove the hyperlink) which looks like a BT page. They encourage you to clink on links they have put on that page which no doubt give the scammers access to your PC.

BT please get that page removed from the web. It all looks very plausible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 343 of 693

@neillybeg wrote:
I've had a similar call today. BT should note these scammers have hijacked a BT webpage btopenreach.webnode.com (Edited to remove the hyperlink) which looks like a BT page. They encourage you to clink on links they have put on that page which no doubt give the scammers access to your PC.

BT please get that page removed from the web. It all looks very plausible.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Scammers haven't actually hijacked a BT webpage, they've set up a page using a hosting company - who have actually suspended that page already.

Chances are they used stolen credit card details to pay for it.

There are a lot of scam sites set up on a daily basis, which do get reported and taken down. Unfortunately some people may have given over personal details before the sites are removed.

0 Ratings
kiwianam
Message 344 of 693

These calls are, of course, examples of ongoing scam attempts.  I have been called on several occasions by someone claiming to be from BT Openreach or similar, clearly originating from India or Pakistan but showing a fictitious UK phone number on my Caller ID display (I'm not sure how they can counterfeit caller IDs but they obviously can, presumably by setting up bogus telephone exchange equipment in an unregulated country).

Various ploys are used, but this is what happened to me again just a few minutes ago:
A woman called from 01834693503, currently a non-existent phone number in the UK, asking me in a very confusing and roundabout way to run my Windows Event Log (eventvwr) and look at the message history.  She then claimed that the inevitable errors and warnings you will always see there come from, and indicate a problem with, my internet router.  Many non-technically-minded people will be fooled by this, so please beware.  I continued with the call anyway to see what would happen next (and also waste a bit of their time).

I was then handed over to a male "senior technical advisor" who attempted get me to download remote connection software onto my computer, e.g., TeamViewer, and run it, so they can take control of your machine and install their own malware onto it.  Please do not do this!  At this stage I challenged that this was a scam / phishing call and they hung up.

To non-technical or elderly people, or others who might be easily confused by the jargon, these approaches can seem very plausible, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL!  Do NOT download or run anything from any website that you don't recognise as definitely safe, especially if someone just calls you out of the blue and asks you to, no matter who they claim to be!  If you think the call might be genuine then check by calling the organisation (in this case BT) back yourself directly using their official help or support line number shown on your contract, bills or shown on their website (type in the official address yourself - do not click on or copy any links the caller may give you - check the contact details on Google or similar).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Judesman
Contributor
Message 345 of 693

Have just received a call from 00192052553000 BT Technical Support. Indian man took me to EventViewer/Administrative Events and then asked me to download Team Viewer that I already have on computer.  We must have been on phone for 10 minutes during which I was passed to another person. He tried to get me to connect remotely but instead I asked him if he had a family.  He said yes so I asked him if they knew that he earned his living by cheating and defrauding people and told him to go away. End of call.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
ccrxb01
Beginner
Message 346 of 693

Possible Scam?

0 Ratings
ccrxb01
Beginner
Message 347 of 693

Just had calls from 01706489746 / 01770413306 purporting to be BT Technical Team who needed to investigate an issue with my Router. He said he was working in Newgate Street

I questioned him about why he was calling me, to which I couldn't get a straight answer. **Edited by Mod** At this point I started laughing, to which he took offence at and then hung up.

He then the audacity to call back from a diffretn number asking why I'd hung up on him.

BEWARE - They're after getting access to your computer.

0 Ratings
Message 348 of 693

I've had 5 such calls from these scammers since yesterday afternoon. I've challenged them each time by saying things like "if you're BT what's my name"? And "what number are you calling"? "Why haven't you taken me through security" this infuriates them and they hang up.
Numbers used: 01731 525665
0181 3689563
01750 915093
0 Ratings
Message 349 of 693

Oh yes I agree with ccrxb01 - their aim is to get you on your of so they can infiltrate it and gain access to your details, banking etc. DO NOT GO ON YOUR PC FOR THEM!!
0 Ratings
Message 350 of 693

Come on BT you need to do more about this.. it's misrepresentation, impersonation and fraud! There has to be more you can do.
0 Ratings