Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 391 of 726

Re: Possible Scam?

@tonyhoughwrote:

Had a similar call today from 01451625823

They were very persistant and called me back several times but I was wary of scammers and wanted to check. Glad I did!!

BT needs to lock down this number and direct the police to the associated address.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The number is almost certainly spoofed by a VoIP system, although the range is Syntec Limited, not BT.

Also it will probably not have an associated address.

0 Ratings
Message 392 of 726

I have had 3 of these phonecalls in the last week! Just hang up.

0 Ratings
lida
Aspiring Contributor
Message 393 of 726

Today 15 March 2018 and there was an attempted scam. Indian woman purporting be from BT India told me that someone in California had accessed my router twice, illegally. Could I confirm my IP address and she would ensure further attempts are blocked. I told her that she (I) was NOT from BT, (ii) that no one had accessed & used my router in England, and (iii) does she know the name of the customer (me) that she is speaking to? She hung up.
0 Ratings
lida
Aspiring Contributor
Message 394 of 726

The number from which the scam call came from is 01247-894 678. And Yes, there was a recording of a busy office in the background to convey legitimacy. As Judge Judy says: "If it doesn't make sense, then it's not true."
0 Ratings
lida
Aspiring Contributor
Message 395 of 726

Reply to Geoffers1944 on page 36.

Yes, it is absolutely a scam attempted from within BT.

Just as most money theft within banks is done by employees (hushed up), ditto this one by BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
anniemac
Contributor
Message 396 of 726

Today I also have receiced a call from an Indian female, saying that my ISP was being hacked and that was the reason for my system not working properly.   She wanted to know how many lights on my router are on.  I said my system is fine and the Hub has the correct light on.  She wanted to transfer me to an 'engineer' who would help me, and it was likely I would get reduced payments due to this!   I need a new ISP number and they will change it for me, then I will be safe.

I said I want something in writing from BT before I will go any further.  She got angry and said I was wasting her time, she had someone ready to help, I had to decide quickly.  I closed the call and blocked the number.

The number she called from was 01358 796423 (Ellon, Aberdeenshire exchange).

0 Ratings
pam28
Message 397 of 726

I had one - said they were from BT Openreach and that my IP address had been compromised as they were getting signals to confirm that and that other people could access my computer. The call was from the USA. They said they didn't want any money but wanted me to download Team Viewer (used for 3rd party to connect remotely to my computer).  I said I wasn't happy about an unknown person accessing my computer.  Nobody does anything for nothing.

When he said he would ring back in 1 minute I didn't answer the phone.  The phone kept on ringing for about 15 minutes.

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 398 of 726

I had a second call an hour later, a 'senior manager' he said he was.  They work with Open Reach, for BT and TalkTalk customers, and can identify problems with internet connections directly so do not come through BT.  I still said I want something in writing and he said he will send me an email detailing what they are offering to do for me, they are only trying to help.  He was polite and friendly and spoke good English.  I asked where he is phoning from -a large office in London.  I asked if he had my email address, yes he has it.  There is no risk to me whatsoever.  I am to look out for his email and be sure to discuss it with my friends and family because he wants me to be happy with what he is offering.   His email will give me details of how to contact him.

It is all very cleverly done and a bit scary really.  His phone number was the same as the previous caller except for one digit, exchange 01258 instead of 01358.

Isn't it sad that we have to be so watchful and distrusting?

0 Ratings
Message 399 of 726

I just had a call (Monday 19th March 13:52) from 01263 587945, from an Indian sounding gentleman who said his name was 'Andrew', telling me that my internet connection has been infected, and that if I dont remove all the viruses immediately, BT will cut off my internet connection!

Told him that I don't believe him, that there is a huge BT forum about these scams, and anyway as I'm signed up to Telephone Preference Service, he should not be calling me. I told him that BT is not my internet supplier and asked him to tell me who that is. He said he had not been given that information (how convenient!) but that BT was in charge of all the internet providers and had asked him to phone! He didn't get abusive, for a change, but did seem annoyed when I kept refusing to believe him.

0 Ratings
bolokbonce
Message 400 of 726

Re: New India Phone Scam

So when are BT or Openreach going to DO something about these scammers. They must have the technology to track them down or block them from providing false numbers to 1471!
0 Ratings