cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 481 of 681

Re: Possible Scam?

As others have said run a comprehensive virus scan which includes a scan for "Malware" there may well not be a virus as you invited them in.

Regarding your bank information, as they had control of your computer it may not have been your account you were looking at.

BUT

They will have the access info for your bank account SO change your password and look very carefully at your on line activities to make sure you do not have any unauthorised transactions.

If you needed a PIN reader to access your bank you are not quite as vulnerable as the PIN reader is a one off activity and not much use to a crook.

0 Ratings
carolyn2
Message 482 of 681

I’ve just had a call from an Indian woman claiming to be from bt open reach saying that my internet was in danger of being hacked and what did I have running off it. I said it was only the tv as all my other devices were wireless she then hung up. I checked the No she had called on 006135670007 and it came from Australia. I’ve tried to report it to bt but surprise surprise no answer and the phone just rang out

0 Ratings
lesleyp118
Message 483 of 681

I took a call this morning claiming to be from BT OpenReach (Indian accented lady with very bad static on the line), telling me I had problems with my router. Funny that we don't have any router or broadband service from BT, it's Virgin Media.... gave me some interesting (plausible?) response that BT has to know about all internet and ip addresses etc.  I let her carry on, repeating almost everything because I couldn't hear her very well.  Eventually she put me onto her supervisor who had a better line. He very patiently tried to explain why I should speak to BT about this, despite being a Virgin Media customer, and that there is suspcious activity on my router between the hours of 2am and 4am, which they would help me reset the privacy. He obviously got fed up with having to explain why, why, how, rather than get to the point of me doing anything which would give him access to our systems, because the line suddenly went dead!  Result 🙂

1471 reported that "we do not have the number".

My 84 year old mother recently had a voicemail message in similar vein earlier this week, stating that she would lose her internet access, but she very sensibly didn't return the call, as the message had requested.  The number her call came from was 0033109697715.

0 Ratings
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 484 of 681

There is also another scam doing the rounds, we have been called a few times.

Automated message saying your internet will be shut off in 12 hours or some such due to it being accessed by somebody in California, Press 1 for engineer so issue can be fixed.

Just hang up, we have had this call a few times over the last few months and internet not gone off yet.

They either want to put you on an expensive call rate or get access to your computer for hacking/stealing purposes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 485 of 681

@DeyrickG wrote:

There is also another scam doing the rounds, we have been called a few times.

Automated message saying your internet will be shut off in 12 hours or some such due to it being accessed by somebody in California, Press 1 for engineer so issue can be fixed.

Just hang up, we have had this call a few times over the last few months and internet not gone off yet.

They either want to put you on an expensive call rate or get access to your computer for hacking/stealing purposes.

This call version is doing the rounds but using different numbers. Had the same version two days ago - Glasgow number, American lady. 

You can hang up, on them. A call blocker may help, but will only reduce the chances of them calling again on a different number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 486 of 681

@DeyrickGwrote:

Just to make this clear, they will not put anyone on an expensive call rate - this simply doesn't happen. Phone paid services authority tend to have rules that allows witholding of money to the companies, rather than paying them straight away. That prevents them getting money in and running.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 487 of 681

@carolyn2wrote:

I’ve just had a call from an Indian woman claiming to be from bt open reach saying that my internet was in danger of being hacked and what did I have running off it. I said it was only the tv as all my other devices were wireless she then hung up. I checked the No she had called on 006135670007 and it came from Australia. I’ve tried to report it to bt but surprise surprise no answer and the phone just rang out

Hi, welcome to the forums.

How did you try to repot it? Did you ring the number showing - if so why?

These numbers are spoofed, the criminals call using VoIP systems and fake the calling number. The number could be anyone - certainly not the scammers, and calling the Aussie number around 2am might not be the best thing to do!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 488 of 681

It was just a thought, they are scum whatever they are trying to do.
0 Ratings
sido48
Aspiring Contributor
Message 489 of 681

If they had control of her computer, they still have control, I think only an out of the box will fix it
0 Ratings
Ceecee311
Message 490 of 681

I phoned BT this morning regarding my phone/ broadband package. Half an hour later the Indian scammer phoned me. He could tell me my name, address, postcode and BT account number. While he was asking me to download the app allowing him remote access to my Tablet, I was actually googling BT scams which verified my suspicions that I was indeed being scammed. I'm too much of a lady to tell you what I called him however I don't think he'll be back on the phone to me in a hurry.

Tip: If you have a problem with your router then you'll know about it yourself.

Hope this helps

0 Ratings