cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Norfolklady
Message 591 of 681

Re: Possible Scam?

We had  a similar call today from number 06570986667 (an Indian number). Said from BT & we had recently been having problems with our connection (who hasn't?) & they would help fix it. Apparantly somebody had 'hacked our router'. Anyway she was leading up to getting remote access (asking me to go to the run dialog etc) so I asked if I could ring her back at BT to verify who she was. Passed on to 'supervisor', also an Asian accent, who gave me the number 01618188421 to call 'but sometimes they get busy so it may be answered by a call centre but it is BT really'. I terminated the call at this point

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 592 of 681

@Norfolklady wrote:

We had  a similar call today from number 06570986667 (an Indian number). Said from BT & we had recently been having problems with our connection (who hasn't?) & they would help fix it. Apparantly somebody had 'hacked our router'. Anyway she was leading up to getting remote access (asking me to go to the run dialog etc) so I asked if I could ring her back at BT to verify who she was. Passed on to 'supervisor', also an Asian accent, who gave me the number 01618188421 to call 'but sometimes they get busy so it may be answered by a call centre but it is BT really'. I terminated the call at this point

That 0161 number you were given isn't a BT number.
It's a well known scammer call centre / or indivual.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 593 of 681

Rather than decrease the scam calls have increased particularly the recordings saying "your Internet will be cut off". The only solution I have found is to leave the answering machine on and only pick up the phone if it is someone I know. None of the scam calls except the recordings will leave messages.

0 Ratings
Zurdo
Contributor
Message 594 of 681

I’ve had loads of these scam messages. I usually now thank them for the warning and tell them I’ll throw out the computer and buy a new one. They’re so gobsmacked they ring off!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 595 of 681

@Bob1001 wrote:

Rather than decrease the scam calls have increased particularly the recordings saying "your Internet will be cut off". The only solution I have found is to leave the answering machine on and only pick up the phone if it is someone I know. None of the scam calls except the recordings will leave messages.

Just had a call from a number traced to Scotland.....How appropriate, as area is listed as Maud.

Flossie with the same old American voice again, calling from Maud!. It’s the same recorded voice, and you don’t need voice recognition software.  Sooner or later someone will catch the caller.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 596 of 681

@Ribblelancswrote:

That 0161 number you were given isn't a BT number.
It's a well known scammer call centre / or indivual.

The number should have been reported by now. According to the OFCOM list, the number range is for WaveCrest (UK) Ltd.

This is one of those cases where this can clearly be checked and if relevant, closed down.

0 Ratings
richardbg
Beginner
Message 597 of 681

Re: New India Phone Scam

I just had  call from an Indian gy saying he was an engineer from Openreach. He asked if I had a router (yes), how many devices were connected (one) and was my speed slow (I have no idea). H easked me to go to my computer and we will perform some tests. When I said no he replied he did not ask to take my computer. I replied I neved said he was asking to take it. He became agitated and angry and an argument ensued. I said I had no idea who he was and was fed up with Indian scam artsists and Openreach coudl check the ine speed without need in me to allow acces to my computer.. After accusing me of shouting at him (which was true) he stafted screaming at me and hung up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 598 of 681

0 Ratings
richardbg
Beginner
Message 599 of 681

I got one today from an Indian guy saying he was an engineer form openreach. Asked all osrt so questions and wanted to get me to go to my computer to check line speed. I refused and told him I did not know who he really was and if Opnereach wanted to check line speeds they di not need me to do it for them. He became argumentative. I said I was fed up with scammers from India. Bigger argument ensued with him  screaming at me and then he hung up. For sure no-one who was really an engineer from  Openreach woudl beahve this way. Beware of anyone wanting to take control of your computer.

0 Ratings
Carantan
Beginner
Message 600 of 681

I just had a phone call from man with Indian accent saying he was from BT and they had made changes to the exchange and opened a new line"  and needed to make checks.  Asked me lots of questions about what devices I used with my router.  Then asked me to open the "run"  box on my laptop.  At this point he passed me to a lady, also with an Indian acent,  who was about to tell me to type something into the run box when I put the phone down on her.  No doubt she would have  got me to type something  that  gave her control.

A check on the caller number came up with this number: 00390283559116

0 Ratings