cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carantan
Beginner
Message 601 of 697

Re: Possible Scam?

I just had a phone call from man with Indian accent saying he was from BT and they had made changes to the exchange and opened a new line"  and needed to make checks.  Asked me lots of questions about what devices I used with my router.  Then asked me to open the "run"  box on my laptop.  At this point he passed me to a lady, also with an Indian acent,  who was about to tell me to type something into the run box when I put the phone down on her.  No doubt she would have  got me to type something  that  gave her control.

A check on the caller number came up with this number: 00390283559116

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 602 of 697

@Carantanwrote:

I just had a phone call from man with Indian accent saying he was from BT and they had made changes to the exchange and opened a new line"  and needed to make checks.  Asked me lots of questions about what devices I used with my router.  Then asked me to open the "run"  box on my laptop.  At this point he passed me to a lady, also with an Indian acent,  who was about to tell me to type something into the run box when I put the phone down on her.  No doubt she would have  got me to type something  that  gave her control.

A check on the caller number came up with this number: 00390283559116

Just do what I do, when I answer the phone and they tell me there is something they need to do I just say oh right but I am not on the internet, they don’t even say good bye they just hang up. Don’t give them the time of day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 603 of 697

@Carantanwrote:

What these scammers tend to do is get people (using window PCs) to use "run" to use eventvwr, then ask the person to look at a specific log - and this will actually show Errors/Warnings. They try to frighten people that the machine is faulty and want to fix it.

At this point they often try to get the user to run teamviewer, at which point the scammer can take over if the end user gives out a pass code to connect remotely.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 604 of 697

Just had a different one, this time it was an Automated message saying BT were terminating my internet account as of today and to press one to connect to someone or other. I just put the phone down.

I did 1471 and it said I had just been called by 01755755610.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 605 of 697

That one has been doing the rounds for ages, Female Americanish accent, just ignore.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 606 of 697

@DeyrickGwrote:

That one has been doing the rounds for ages, Female Americanish accent, just ignore.

No it was a male definitely a foreign accent but not American at all, I did ignore.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 607 of 697

@Flossy744wrote:

Just had a different one, this time it was an Automated message saying BT were terminating my internet account as of today and to press one to connect to someone or other. I just put the phone down.

01755 is a complete protected range and hence not in use by anyone. So a guaranteed spoofed number by the scammers.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 608 of 697

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Flossy744wrote:

01755 is a complete protected range and hence not in use by anyone. So a guaranteed spoofed number by the scammers.

Thanks for that Andy, I do ignore these scammers but it’s very unnerving for older people like myself .

0 Ratings
richardbg
Beginner
Message 609 of 697

American-ish accents may be callers from Philippines

0 Ratings
richardbg
Beginner
Message 610 of 697

Tell the caller you are recording the conversation and the number they are calling from is being traced by your computer system. They either get nervous and / or hang up real quick.

0 Ratings