Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 631 of 726

Re: New India Phone Scam

@Bob1001wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/kw/scam%20calls/c/761,6077

Nothing to do with BT.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

They will also try to extract personal information from you.

There are lots of threads on this board about this.

Also remember if you reply it could be an expensive call.

How do you mean reply? Do you mean if you press "1" to speak etc? If so, this will NOT incur an expensive call - they called you.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 632 of 726

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Bob1001wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/kw/scam%20calls/c/761,6077

Nothing to do with BT.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

They will also try to extract personal information from you.

There are lots of threads on this board about this.

Also remember if you reply it could be an expensive call.

How do you mean reply? Do you mean if you press "1" to speak etc? If so, this will NOT incur an expensive call - they called you.

Phoning back an displayed number or given to you in a recording.

0 Ratings
David229
Beginner
Message 633 of 726

I am not a BT customer, however my service uses the BT phone network.  I am receiving daily recorded message calls from 'Shirley' who advises me that my BT internet service is about to be cut off.  Today I received a direct call from 'BT Online Technical Services' . They were trying to walk me into the Anydesk scam. This is a well known operation for obtaining desk top access and having the customer access their online bank account at which point money is stolen by the Remote Desktop operator.  I can see from the thread that this has been going on for years and BT has failed to do anything about it. The operators are using BT registered U.K. Landlines to do this as part of the deception.  BT are providing a service to criminals allowing them to breach BT terms of use to steal money from its own customers. BT are providing the means and facilities to do this and have evidently not put anything in place to prevent this from happening.  By consequence BT are culpable for these third party activities and should be held criminally responsible for a widespread fraud that has many examples of successfully stealing money from vulnerable and unwary people.

It is important that BT demonstrate that they are locating the source of these activities, deny services and close them down. BT has the capability to identify the source and needs to implement criminal or diplomatic proceedings towards these organisations and host countries, and cease being participant party in these crimes by Joint Enterprise.

There are many many crimes taking place using the BT network.

To help end these criminal calls identify BT as a criminal party to action fraud.police.uk as participant with other unknown perpetrators.  Also report fraudulent  calls aleging BT criminal activity to your MP. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 634 of 726

Neither BT Retail, or any other provider can control incoming calls. BT Retail do not own the phone network, there are plenty of other providers with their own networks.

These calls are nothing to do with BT Retail.

As you are not a BT Retail customer, I suggest to complain to your own Service Provider, and ask them what they are doing about it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 635 of 726

David229

And while you are reporting this to the Police perhaps you could report the local councils who allow criminals to use vehicles on the road networks that are laid and maintained by the councils. They should identify the source of these criminals and need  to implement criminal or diplomatic proceedings towards these organisations and cease being participant party in these crimes by Joint Enterprise.

.... or perhaps not because there is nothing the council can do about criminals using the road network because they don't know which vehicle has a criminal in it. Just like there is nothing BT can do to stop people from around the world using the BT network because they do not know which calls are criminal and which are not without challenging the caller before it is put through to the recipient.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 636 of 726

@David229wrote:

I am not a BT customer, however my service uses the BT phone network.  I am receiving daily recorded message calls from 'Shirley' who advises me that my BT internet service is about to be cut off.  Today I received a direct call from 'BT Online Technical Services' . They were trying to walk me into the Anydesk scam. This is a well known operation for obtaining desk top access and having the customer access their online bank account at which point money is stolen by the Remote Desktop operator.  I can see from the thread that this has been going on for years and BT has failed to do anything about it. The operators are using BT registered U.K. Landlines to do this as part of the deception.  BT are providing a service to criminals allowing them to breach BT terms of use to steal money from its own customers. BT are providing the means and facilities to do this and have evidently not put anything in place to prevent this from happening.  By consequence BT are culpable for these third party activities and should be held criminally responsible for a widespread fraud that has many examples of successfully stealing money from vulnerable and unwary people.

It is important that BT demonstrate that they are locating the source of these activities, deny services and close them down. BT has the capability to identify the source and needs to implement criminal or diplomatic proceedings towards these organisations and host countries, and cease being participant party in these crimes by Joint Enterprise.

There are many many crimes taking place using the BT network.

To help end these criminal calls identify BT as a criminal party to action fraud.police.uk as participant with other unknown perpetrators.  Also report fraudulent  calls aleging BT criminal activity to your MP. 

Sorry, but what you have said simply isn't as easy as you think it is, with a lot of misconceptions and false information.

For a start, the criminals are NOT using BT registered landlines at all - they are using VoIP systems and spoofing the called from number.

They call numbers using automated systems that call random numbers or in batches. The majority of landlines are allocated to BT, so the criminals use BT as a name. A lot of ranges may still show as allocated to BT in the OFCOM databases, but a lot of individual lines can be ported to other companies. The criminals, and indeed anyone, will not know that - so can call people on any phone company and believe it's still BT.

If you have actually checked through this and many similar threads, you will see that if it really was that easy to stop these criminals - do you believe that companies like BT wouldn't have done this already? Also it's a worldwide issue, affecting massive companies like AT&T and Comcast who are far far bigger than BT - do you think they aren't doing anything as well?

Why do you believe BT are a criminal party and not your telephone company you are with? You need to contact them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 637 of 726

@Andy_N   Excellent post !

0 Ratings
David229
Beginner
Message 638 of 726

Councils / roads? OK a useful analogy. To continue the comparison we maintain road safety and policing for the benefit of road users who abide by the law. BT have little enthusiasm for protecting phone network users from scammers and could do more. Thanks for the feedback.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 639 of 726

Of course, BT are the world's telecom police, everybody knows that.

0 Ratings
David229
Beginner
Message 640 of 726

Yes. You are probably right. I made a deliberately provocative posting because frankly the scammers are winning and it’s impacting many people on a daily basis. I read a report that they are making in the order of $15.2 billon or something of that order. There is little evidence that the industry or Governent are doing anything to tackle it. Initial responses suggest that I should just accept that. Thanks for your feedback.
0 Ratings