cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 641 of 652

Re: New India Phone Scam

Which particular government would that be?

I think you severely underestimate the complexity of the problem and the ability to resolve it. As @Andy_N  has said, it is a worldwide problem.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 642 of 652

There is no solution to the recorded calls except to put the phone down.

With real calls I have noticed a marked reduction so may have been removed from some databases as I now say.

"yes this is the fraud department of [usually this is as far as I get before they put the phone down] BT/Virgin/SSE (or whoever they are pretending to be) [I have never had one reply to this]

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 643 of 652

@David229wrote:
BT have little enthusiasm for protecting phone network users from scammers and could do more.

Can you provide evidence to back up your comment?

Do you seriously believe that the massive worldwide telecom giants like AT&T are not doing anything?

Most of the companies are using call blocking systems (including AT&T & BT) - though as we know the scammers change their spoofed numbers regularly, so the blocking systems will generally fail. It'll certainly catch a lot when they use the same number for a "large" scam call.

As I've said elsewhere, it's the VoIP interconnect with the telephone networks that needs focus (and probably is being done) - however many companies are going down that path, including BT. It might need a completely different message system (in the calls) to enable some form of guarantee the call is potentially genuine.

0 Ratings
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 644 of 652

Hi All,

New to BT ,Migrated from TT, where This Problem is Rife and rampant ,

Yes it's VOIP hard to trace , Used to a least 2 calls a day from them ,

But they are starting to slip up , the last one i got was from Bt Openreach " there is a problem with your router can you switch on your PV ( instead of pc ) & that was the week before i signed for BT ,

Take it that Free supersafe boost from TT was not as helpful as led to belive,

TT community was full of numbers used for this but its usless its VOIP as stated that needs attention

David

0 Ratings
EricWalker93
Beginner
Message 645 of 652

If you press 1 or any other number the scammer suggests, what happens?  I don't want to do it just to find out!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 646 of 652

The scammer knows you are there!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 647 of 652

@EricWalker93 wrote:

If you press 1 or any other number the scammer suggests, what happens?  I don't want to do it just to find out!

So why even think about it! If you know it is a scam call you just don't do anything the scammer suggests and hang up.

0 Ratings
EricWalker93
Beginner
Message 648 of 652

I HAD THOUGHT THAT MAYBE BY PRESSING 1 OR WHATEVER YOU FIND A WHACKING HEAVY CHARGE ON YOUR NEXT PHONE BILL.   BUT  I DO ALWAYS ALWAYS BLOCK THEM THANKS TO THE NEW BLOCKING BUTTON ON LATEST BT PHONES

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 649 of 652

@EricWalker93wrote:

I HAD THOUGHT THAT MAYBE BY PRESSING 1 OR WHATEVER YOU FIND A WHACKING HEAVY CHARGE ON YOUR NEXT PHONE BILL.   BUT  I DO ALWAYS ALWAYS BLOCK THEM THANKS TO THE NEW BLOCKING BUTTON ON LATEST BT PHONES

(Caps on is shouting and hard to read ...)

They called you, you can't be charged anything for pressing anything when called. It's a myth, and still wrongly perpetuated by people.

0 Ratings
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 650 of 652

Well As I Have Came over from TT ( So Called Telecom Co) 

Im Used to This type of Call, Got Them All the time Nothing can BLOCK Them Nothing Can STOP them,

Answer :-

Report Number ( No Use cant be traced)

Block Number :_ MUST DO puts it onto the system

But Sadley Now iam on BT

what did i get a call from BT Techinical service stating My internet was EXPIRING press 1 to connect to an Engineer (SCAM) they used that on TT, and all the rest 

1:- Never press ANY Button

2:-Always Block Number ( Stops repeat)

3:- Never Ever get Sucked In , 

sorry for ca'ps but this needed them

Can I ADD:

BT as a ISP/telephony service is the best, 

A :- They Own ALL Lines to Your Address,

B:- They would never phone You with a problem,

C:- If They ever did (?) you have the right to phone  08001114567 BT Tech. Support 

0 Ratings