cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 671 of 691

Re: Call protect

i was in the same boat but i got a new BT phone that i could block numbers on, if its a number i dont know i dont answer and let the answer phone answer, the phone i have shows it as international so i block that number no need to answer it, also the phone can send the information back to BT for them to investigate especially if it is a UK number which they use to call you to find out if you are in the house then they note that number and forward a list to the call center in india, i have had hundreds of calls from them like this all have now been blocked but because the use a number generator program it is impossible to block every number they create... but the information that BT get from us helps them track down the call center and have the indian police shut them down... there is at least 1 call center closed a month in india for one scam or another... watch the scammer videos on youtube.. you will see how they work

0 Ratings
mikey75
Beginner
Message 672 of 691

Re: Possible Scam?

Thanks for the information
0 Ratings
KMH-8383
Message 673 of 691

HELP. I very stupidly took a call from Indian speaking gentlemen with others in the background saying BT open reach. All as described in previous postings on here.

What do I do if again stupidly I let them access my computer remotely?

What risk am I at and how do I rectify?

Any advise would be greatly received. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 674 of 691

If you let them access your computer you need to carry out a malware scan and virus scan.

You need to check that there is no "forwarding" set up on your email account.

Advise your contacts that you may have been hacked and they should be wary of any emails that purport to be from you.

You need to change the passwords of every account that you have, this obviously includes banks etc.

If possible do that on a device/computer that the scammers did not have access to.

Notify your bank what has taken place and ask them to monitor your account for unusual activity.

In future, NEVER allow anybody to access your computer unless you have them with you in your house and you can see what tey are doing.

Message 675 of 691

@KMH-8383 That's some great advice from @gg30340 and to add to it I'd also recommend you report this to Action Fraud on this website. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
mikey75
Beginner
Message 676 of 691

Hi 

hopefully the scammer did not get full control inform your bank etc go on line inform BT and get BT protect on your phone go onto YouTube and see how other people block these people 

0 Ratings
Iangla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 677 of 691

Re: New India Phone Scam

Have you used Call protect?  it allows you to manually block problem calls. 

0 Ratings
davidmiller56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 678 of 691

What
NeilO
Moderator  should have posted was this :-

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk

please take a note of the number they called on ( even if International) ie starting 00

then after call dial 1572 ( Call Protect)

or set it up free with BT online  

0 Ratings
mikey75
Beginner
Message 679 of 691

Thanks for advice 👍

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 680 of 691

@davidmiller56 wrote:

What
NeilO
Moderator  should have posted was this :-

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk

please take a note of the number they called on ( even if International) ie starting 00

then after call dial 1572 ( Call Protect)

or set it up free with BT online  

If you click on the link that NeilO posted you will see it links to the same page that you linked to!

0 Ratings