cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 681 of 693

Re: Possible Scam?

@davidmiller56wrote:

please take a note of the number they called on ( even if International) ie starting 00

then after call dial 1572 ( Call Protect)

or set it up free with BT online  

Note that scammers do not call from the number shown, it's been spoofed using VoIP systems and they will change the number. Call Protect will not block these calls as they keep changing. If a call shows as 00 - then it's not necessarily an international call, again it can be spoofed. An international call is when the call passes through the international gateways and an international flag added to the call message.

0 Ratings
retrieve
Aspiring Contributor
Message 682 of 693

I spoke to BT yesterday to arrange an Internal home move in our house and was told we would be contacted in July  about this again as we are in the process of  changing our Mobile contracts.  Received a call today from an Asian sounding gentleman saying he was from BT, knew our name and wanted to talk about the changes we are making to our home lines.  I was suspicious and did not supply the requested address details and he said he would ring back tomorrow.

I called BT who confirmed that I had not been called by them today, nor did they recognise the number called from,  and advised that I request details from any suspicious sounding caller in future. 

This makes sense, but as he seemed to know quite a bit about us already, what would be good information to request - account No., user name, letter in password?! Advice gratefully received, thanks

0 Ratings
PaulBrownsey
Beginner
Message 683 of 693

Re: New India Phone Scam

Similar here.  I( had an online conversation yesterday about my phone bill.  Today I got calls purportedly from BT (Indian accents, western names) to the effect that I had to go to my computer to remedy problems of access caused by my computer being taken over by outside activity.  When I said I wasn't going to fall for a scam, they claimed they could prove they weren't a scam by giving my account number.  I GAVE THIS NUMBER THE DAY BEFORE TO A GENUINE ONLINE BT OPERATIVE.  I did not put them to this test.

0 Ratings
Nyorks64
Message 684 of 693

Same thing called twice today (my wife answered earlier and said I was out) so they are persistent!. Call from 01826 489 434 (not a BT number). Said they would send a new wifi router but first needed to go through some stuff on the PC with me, so I terminated the call.

0 Ratings
Kimshaun
Message 685 of 693

I've just had a phone call from an Asian lady saying my phone and internet was being hacked and that she was from BT . She said she would be cancelling my internet because a man called MR Crawl was hacking my account and I needed to work with BT by giving her my IP address. I said I wanted a phone number from her so I could call her back and check her out ..the number she gave me was not valid via Google . She has tried ringing again since . I've ignored her calls ..
Can I ask , can she get access to my internet ? I havent given her any information bit still concerned that she can get into my phone or internet.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 686 of 693

No

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 687 of 693

It is a scam to try and get access to your computer.

BT would never phone you and advise you of this.

As long as you have given out no personal details and did not allow access to your computer you will be OK.

If she calls back the best advice is to ignore the call or if you want to answer it tell the caller that you know that they are scammers and that the Police are now monitoring your line. They will more than likely hang up.

PaulBrownsey
Beginner
Message 688 of 693

My own experience--see five or six posts above--suggests that the scammers have access to information  given to genuine BT operatives:

1.  Although I have had many scam calls purporting to be from "your internet provider", the first one that claimed to be from BT was an hour or two after I'd had an online conversation with a genuine BT operative, and I had three further such calls within 24 hours.

2.  One of the callers purporting to be from BT said they could prove they were genuine by giving my account number, which only I and BT would know.  This was the day after I had given my account number to a genuine BT operative as part of an online conversation.

I am finding it hard to accept that scammers do not have some way of accessing what people give to genuine BT operatives.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 689 of 693

The other possible source of information is from all the junk mail BT send out by post.

It contains your account details and name and address, from this it is easy to find the phone number, assuming you are not exdirectory.

There must be many in the chain that could see this info, I doubt BT prints it themselves.

There is also a good script for a crook as they could find out the offer and pretend to better it.

There is an option to stop this junk mail but one it does not work and if you actually speak to BT they tell you that you have opted out.

0 Ratings
PaulBrownsey
Beginner
Message 690 of 693

Yes, but I think it's significant that the "This is BT" calls (not "This your internet provider") began immediately after my online conversation with BT.
0 Ratings