cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retrieve
Contributor
Message 691 of 703

Re: Possible Scam?

I eventually found that the bt call about merging 2 lines I was concerned about, was genuine.  Another agent called me and I asked here to give me my information - account no, phone numbers etc, she still wanted me to confirm my address, so I managed to ask her to tell me the 4th letter of house name, 2nd of Post code etc.  I could not think of any other way to allay my suspicions and the expected merge did take place as promised.!    If anyone has a better way to confirm that it really is BT calling, it would be nice to hear it!!

0 Ratings
Judesman
Contributor
Message 692 of 703

I have just had a phone call from a foreign person claiming to be from BT. He advised me that there was something wrong with my router and asked me how many devices were connected. I told him 90 so he told me to put my tablet in my **bleep**.  I wished him a good day.

0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 693 of 703

Sounds as if that did the trick!!

0 Ratings
sahikmet
Message 694 of 703

Yes I also had the same call. I told him to send an e mail to confirm what he is talking about.  I also said if you are from BT you do know my e mail. It was obvious that this was a scam right from the start. 

0 Ratings
Message 695 of 703

Two of these calls today, one from a bloke this morning (I told him to go forth and multiply) and one just now from a female. Both were Indian.  The lady ASSURED me there was a problem with my router and I assured her she was a feckless fraudster.  The number had a Wales code, but they obviously have equipment to hide the true home of the fraudsters, as the sound of the call was definitely that 'sound' of a foreign 'boiler room'.

Now, here's the really alarming bit. 

I haven't been a customer of BT for decades but signed up yesterday for BT broadband and landline at a house we are moving to later this month.  Conclusion: one of two things.  (i) A giant coincidence.  (2) there is a fraudster working for BT and/or OpenReach who immediately sells details of new customers to his relatives/mates in India.   

sahikmet
Message 696 of 703

My callers were Indian also. Number they were calling from had a Scottish area code. I have find sites selling this codes and numbers, calling them virtual numbers. I also had WI FI problems 4 weeks ago it was repaired fast and had a phone call from India call centre to confirm the repairs. BT lease look into it, someone from your Indian call centre might be responsible for giving our details out.
PaulBrownsey
Beginner
Message 697 of 703

I agree with you.  There is so much evidence on here that immediately after signing up with BT or giving details to a BT operative, they start getting scam calls purporting to come from BT.  That someone within BT is selling on information is a plausible hypothesis.

889shelley
Message 698 of 703

Re: New India Phone Scam

I was Cold called from a female it’s a think Indian accent stating we had  technical problems on our line. They Asked for remote access as needed to fix from our end. We have just had fibre put into our lane, the internet is dreadful and I am due to switch provider tomorrow so initially thought it a plausible call. They gained access to check my apps asking for an app I used daily like shopping or amazon or bank (funnily not asking for one not linked to a payment card) so I initially entered amazon  but they then asked for shopping or bank. I kept questioning why and she said ‘the problem is madam I am trying to help you and you do not understand the technical faults) I again refused to give any bank details and questioned why again.  I asked again who they were calling from and they said sky... I am with now tv so again plausible. When I refused to enter my bank I was passed to the supervisor. I asked who he was calling from and he said open reach. I queried this as I thought they were calling from sky. He said it’s all linked etc etc. I questioned him again as to why he needed my bank details and said I really wasn’t comfortable with it. He got cross and hung up! The number calling was 01788962162.

i tried to contact sky/now and open reach to clarify but after over a hour on hold I have given up. Sounds like a scam, feels like a scam.... or I have just prevented myself from fixing my dreadful broadband. Who knows!!!!!

0 Ratings
889shelley
Message 699 of 703

I had exactly the same this morning from 01788962162. Initially the lady said she was from sky then later I asked again and a different person said they were from by open reach.
I refused to tell them my bank so was passed to supervisor who said this is all to help me etc etc then got cross when I said I was uncomfortable giving then my bank info. He then hung up!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 700 of 703

BT , Openreach, Microsoft, your bank or any other legitimate company will NEVER cold call you asking for access to your computer. If you get such a call just hang up. Don't ask them any questions or offer any information. HANG UP!