cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ms_TV
Beginner
Message 711 of 722

Re: Possible Scam?

Same here, but these people insist in calling, only today i received maybe 10 calls. They claim that my wifi has been compromised and that IP addresses from abroad have access to my wifi. 

The call doesn't have a caller ID. Or when it has, the number doesn't exist. Only today I had calls from 02029066947 and 02088627386.

As you answer if you don't say a word, call drops. If you say hello this Indian-accent person goes on stating their story, starts asking how you are, goes on and on about an attack. 

Another one today started with an IVR "dial 1 for blah blah, dial 2 for ..."

Why isn't anybody framing these people?

0 Ratings
sahikmet
Beginner
Message 712 of 722

Good news today, Indian Police closed two call centres and arrested some workers for scam calls.

Lar call I had insisted he was calling from London, the fake number was in Scotland. I put an Indian accent on and told him I lived in South Africa. He got confused and rung off. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 713 of 722

The best advice if you have answered is don't speak. If you do speak it connects your call to the scammer and it is registered as a live call.

If you answer and speak to the caller they know that they have a person on the line and they will try and wear you down by repeatedly calling. They can also pass your phone number on as being a "live" number.

If it is a genuine call the caller and you haven't spoken the caller will usually speak first even if it is only to ask if you are there. Automated calls don't do that.

If it is a scammer and you haven't spoken the call will be dropped. They will eventually stop calling your number because the automated calling has registered it as no longer getting connected to a live caller.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 714 of 722

@Ms_TVwrote:

Only today I had calls from 02029066947 and 02088627386.

For information, the calls were not from those numbers. 020 2xxx is not an allocated range or even protected. 0208862 is allocated to Vodafone (in this case an old C&W number range) - but will not be the source of the call.

0 Ratings
JBSH
Message 715 of 722

yes i have had 2 calls today from different numbers and when i sd call back they hang up 

0 Ratings
gabrieljj
Beginner
Message 716 of 722

Re: BT Scam?

I just had exactly the same experience, a scam call saying my internet connection would be disrupted: insult to injury after a week of hopeless, hair-tearing interactions with BT. The number I was called on was 01225 529104

0 Ratings
Message 717 of 722

Hi @gabrieljj, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. To help us beat the scammers I'd recommend you report the call on this form, Report a scam call

0 Ratings
gabrieljj
Beginner
Message 718 of 722

Done, thanks.

Frustrated26
Beginner
Message 719 of 722

I had a very similar call today.

It is so frustrating.  They knew so many of my details.  

However, what I am very concerned about is that they sent me a verification PIN number to my mobile so I would know that it was a genuine BT call.    I received the text which said:

Hello, BT here.  Your PIN is 5224.  You'll only be able to use this once.

The concerning thing was that this text added on to valid texts that I had previously received from BT from text no: 64364.

(I was so confused/concerned that I checked with BT if it was actually a fraud call and it was)

Why are they able to send texts now from what appears to be an actual genuine BT number?

Anyone else come across this before?

Tags (3)
Ms_TV
Beginner
Message 720 of 722

wow attacks are getting really sophisticated - have you reported on the link that NeilO provided https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/? It may help if they have the fresh attack info... cheers

0 Ratings