cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owen33
Message 611 of 726

Re: Possible Scam?

Had a call from a lady this morning saying our router was faulty and after asking a few questions said an engineer would be out in 4-5 days to upgrade our router free of charge. After asking what pc I had she put me through to an Apple engineer. He then started to give me instructions as to how he was going to correct the fault. I said there was no internet problem so why did I need to do anything until the engineer arrived. He tried to convince me but I said I needed to be sure it wasn't a scam and the the line we nt dead immediately. I am very alert to these things but it was very difficult to tell if it was a scam or not. The original lady said that our router was over 2 years old (true) so needed upgrading, all very plausible till they started to ask me to do things on the pc. I'm sure a lot of people would fall for it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 612 of 726

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 613 of 726

@owen33wrote:

Had a call from a lady this morning saying our router was faulty and after asking a few questions said an engineer would be out in 4-5 days to upgrade our router free of charge. After asking what pc I had she put me through to an Apple engineer. He then started to give me instructions as to how he was going to correct the fault. I said there was no internet problem so why did I need to do anything until the engineer arrived. He tried to convince me but I said I needed to be sure it wasn't a scam and the the line we nt dead immediately. I am very alert to these things but it was very difficult to tell if it was a scam or not. The original lady said that our router was over 2 years old (true) so needed upgrading, all very plausible till they started to ask me to do things on the pc. I'm sure a lot of people would fall for it. 

Yes, I am sure plenty will be scammed.

Could have happened to us as these scam calls started the very week we went over to BT, never had this before being with another internet provider for years. Someone said it was just a coincidence that we had started getting them but I am not convinced. I must have had at least 20 scam calls since  September.

It’s getting so upsetting we are beginning to wish we had stayed where we were.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 614 of 726

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Its a scam,

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901807

I did try to report only 2 days ago, but when I had finished and pressed submit, it would not go through no matter how many times I tried.

0 Ratings
owen33
Message 615 of 726

In fairness we've been with BT years and never had a problem till now. I think these cscams are pretty universal now. What surprised me was how plausible and sophisticated it was.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 616 of 726

@Flossy744wrote:

Could have happened to us as these scam calls started the very week we went over to BT, never had this before being with another internet provider for years. Someone said it was just a coincidence that we had started getting them but I am not convinced. I must have had at least 20 scam calls since  September.

Did you keep your number, or is it a new one?

It is a coincidence.

These scammers seem to target ranges, hence some people have only started to receive these calls. There are lots of reports via twitter implying so. If you kept your number, this is one of the reasons you are now seeing it. It you had a new number, chances are the previous "owner" or the number also received these calls.

If the number was unused, the scammers don't care - their systems dial randomly or in patterns, and any calls that fail simply get lost. They will keep trying.

It's the same with email. A brand new email could get spam immediately if the spammers had it in their list of billions of email addresses - any bounce messages would again simply get lost.

If you don't believe it's a coincidence, what are you actually implying?

This is a worldwide problem affecting masses of companies, including mega players like AT&T and Comcast in the USA. You only need to look at the forums of Sky, Plusnet, TT etc and see similar scam call reports.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 617 of 726

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Flossy744wrote:

Did you keep your number, or is it a new one?

It is a coincidence.

These scammers seem to target ranges, hence some people have only started to receive these calls. There are lots of reports via twitter implying so. If you kept your number, this is one of the reasons you are now seeing it. It you had a new number, chances are the previous "owner" or the number also received these calls.

If the number was unused, the scammers don't care - their systems dial randomly or in patterns, and any calls that fail simply get lost. They will keep trying.

It's the same with email. A brand new email could get spam immediately if the spammers had it in their list of billions of email addresses - any bounce messages would again simply get lost.

If you don't believe it's a coincidence, what are you actually implying?

This is a worldwide problem affecting masses of companies, including mega players like AT&T and Comcast in the USA. You only need to look at the forums of Sky, Plusnet, TT etc and see similar scam call reports.

Sorry Andy I wasn’t implying anything, we have been with BT for our telephone forever, over 45 years, then we decided to go with BT for TV and Internet package. The scam calls started straight away.

0 Ratings
Chris_5555
Message 618 of 726

I was scammed on Saturday. They called me from what seemed like an Indian call centre. Heard another man and a lady in the background obviously talking to other potential victims. They accessed my computer using Supremo, Anyplace Control and TeamViewer programmes which I stupidly helped them to put onto my own PC. They said that they owed me £205 refund as the router needed to be replaced and the broadband speed was very slow for what I was paying. He got quite aggressive when I wouldn't type in my bank details on a BT Compensation Form (which they had put on the screen infront of me - I was very hesistant because the typeface was exactly as my bank login apart from the words BT Compensation Form added in at the top, and I said it was best if they just put any monies owned into my account directly which they had already as I paid by direct debit). When his tone changed I knew BT would never speak in this manner to any of their customers so I just hung up. But he continued to communicate with me on  paintpad on my PC "Madam, where are you?!!!!!!!! Please give me your mobile number so I can call you directly!!!!!! The refund form will not be valid after 15 minutes!!!!!" Obviously, I got freaked at this point and pulled all the wiring out of the PC and internet. So scary that these people invade our privacy at such lengths. I just can't get over how stupid I was to even engage with them. After looking online, this scam is years old. It has certainly taught me a lesson.

0 Ratings
Newbie7
Message 619 of 726

Had 2 calls from this number in the past 2 days - a woman with an indian accent saying she was from the Telephone Preference Service and my agreement had expired.  Yesterday I just put the phone down but today, being as they called at 7.05 am I told them to do one and not call me again!

0 Ratings
richardbg
Beginner
Message 620 of 726

I fancied a bit of "fun" today when I received another call from BT Openreach. A guy called Sam called (Indian accent with lots of others taking in the background). He said he can help increase my interent speed.  I asked which number he called from (0800 023 2023). . I was very polite, played 'dumb' and asked lots of questions to take up a lot of his time. After taking a lot of his time in getting to spell the name of the web site he wanted me to go to because I was so sorry that I could not understand his accent  and it was a bad line I eventually 'managed' to write it down (SPEEDTEST.NET). Lots of time taken getting me to get that website up on my laptop and when I told him OK I was there (which I wasn't) he started to ask me to let him do .... I calmly told him that the whole converstaion jad bene recorded and his number and location was being tarced. He was shocked to say the least.  I changed from being Mr dumb nice guy to Mr very angry ' do you think I am stupid you crook.  I managed about 15 seconds of my tirade about him being a thief and criminal etc before he told me to F**k off and hung up. BTW my 1471 came up with 01926515609 but 1471 gave a dead line.  Did my "fun" achieve anything ? I don't know. But for sure it took up a part of his day and helped stop him finding someone else he could rip off. I think I will do the same again but take a veeeery long time to get to the website he wanted me to go to.  Ho Hum. Time for a cup of tea.

0 Ratings