Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 651 of 683

Re: New India Phone Scam

@davidmiller56wrote:

BT as a ISP/telephony service is the best, 

A :- They Own ALL Lines to Your Address,

To point out, BT do not own all the lines, Openreach do - they are a totally separate company.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 652 of 683

Re: New India Phone Scam

@Andy_Nwrote:

@davidmiller56wrote:

BT as a ISP/telephony service is the best, 

A :- They Own ALL Lines to Your Address,

To point out, BT do not own all the lines, Openreach do - they are a totally separate company.

Yes, but that is just ownership of a bit of wire (simplified a bit) but all the routing and ability to trace is with BT and other Telecom companies.

0 Ratings
GillOD
Message 653 of 683

Re: Possible Scam?

I've had 7 calls in the last 3 days purporting to be from BT with regard to issues on my computer/internet. All of them sound foreign, probably Asian. In each instance they started fishing for information and turned nasty when I asked them to prove their identity first. In the end I simply said that I would call the police and get them to trace the call - at which point they hung up. Is there nothing which can be done to stop these calls?

0 Ratings
Message 654 of 683

@GillODwrote:

I've had 7 calls in the last 3 days purporting to be from BT with regard to issues on my computer/internet. All of them sound foreign, probably Asian. In each instance they started fishing for information and turned nasty when I asked them to prove their identity first. In the end I simply said that I would call the police and get them to trace the call - at which point they hung up. Is there nothing which can be done to stop these calls?

Hi @GillOD   Yes, get a Call Guardian phone.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 655 of 683

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@GillODwrote:

Yes that is a patch but useless when doctors & hospitals won't use it as they quote data protection and want to know who they are talking to.

0 Ratings
Message 656 of 683

@Bob1001wrote:

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@GillODwrote:

Yes that is a patch but useless when doctors & hospitals won't use it as they quote data protection and want to know who they are talking to.

Hi @Bob1001   

That is not my experience. Over the years since I bought a Call Guardian phone I have never had any problems with doctors or hospitals announcing themselves, they don’t give names or anything but simply hospital calling etc.  Why would you not provide your name so they know who they are talking to?

It is four years since I have received an unwanted call. The spam, phishing and spoofers always hang up when asked to identify themselves so the phone doesn’t ring and you are not disturbed. 

The latest Premium phones are excellent and share the same contact list with my mobile and email contacts. Having just one contact list makes life very easy and of course allows all family, friends and other regular numbers straight through on the phone bypassing Call Guardian.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 657 of 683

You are lucky I have a call gardian phone but had to turn it off when I did not get an important call about a chemo blood test.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 658 of 683

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@Bob1001wrote:

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@GillODwrote:

Hi @Bob1001   

That is not my experience. Over the years since I bought a Call Guardian phone I have never had any problems with doctors or hospitals announcing themselves, they don’t give names or anything but simply hospital calling etc.  Why would you not provide your name so they know who they are talking to?

There is a very clear reason they probably don't announce themselves, and want to talk to one person only - and that's privacy. There may be others in the property that the person does not want to know they are visiting hospital etc. Even saying hospital calling could be worrying for people simply picking up the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 659 of 683

@Andy_Nwrote:

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@Bob1001wrote:

@VeteranISPUserwrote:

@GillODwrote:

Hi @Bob1001   

There is a very clear reason they probably don't announce themselves, and want to talk to one person only - and that's privacy. There may be others in the property that the person does not want to know they are visiting hospital etc. Even saying hospital calling could be worrying for people simply picking up the phone.

Really it is all a question of balance, if people are happy with 7 scam calls a day then it’s their choice.

0 Ratings
mikey75
Beginner
Message 660 of 683

Ditto 

received a phone call 09.19 this morning from an Asian speaking gent asking me to check my internet strength i started to proceed then i got a on screen warning from TalkTalk not to proceed any further when i cautioned him he asked me again to check my router signal at which point i told him to take a hike the phone no he called from 01202017631 

0 Ratings