Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 701 of 715

Re: Possible scam ?

Hi @gg30340 ,

I did not realise anyone could change the title of threads so I tried it to see if it worked

Edit

It did.  So I returned it to the original title, which I thin was Possible scam ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 702 of 715

Re: Possible scam ?

You can not change the original title of the thread. What you can do is change the title of your post contained within a thread. 

What also happens is that when a post is merged into a thread, the merged post retains its original title which may differ from the threads original title. If you reply directly to that merged post, your post will have the same title as the merged post.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 703 of 715

Re: New India Phone Scam

@889shelleywrote:
I had exactly the same this morning from 01788962162. Initially the lady said she was from sky then later I asked again and a different person said they were from by open reach.
I refused to tell them my bank so was passed to supervisor who said this is all to help me etc etc then got cross when I said I was uncomfortable giving then my bank info. He then hung up!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

For information, the scammers didn't call from that number, they spoofed it using a VoIP system. The number is actually in a protected range, hence not allocated.

oisteadman
Message 704 of 715

I can confirm this i still happening. They are very persistent. Keep up the fight and say you simply will not divulge sensitive numbers/IDs from your end. It was about ten minutes I was handed to a manager who then put his foot in it by calling me "Mr George" (there are no Georges living at the address). 

See here https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/security/beware-the-new-breed-of-computer-takeover-scams-...

"BT will never call out of the blue and:

• Tell you that your service has been hacked
  • Try to remotely take control of your device"
ian1955
Message 705 of 715

Re: Possible Scam?

Yes Ive had two of these in three days. Rang BT and they confirmed this is a scam.

Guy git really hurt when I told him he was a scammer. Poor darling. Get lost!!

0 Ratings
Desford
Message 706 of 715

Hi Andy, 

Aha thanks, I couldn't remember the name of the thing for when a number comes up on 1471 as a non-existing number.

I've just been scammed from a spoof number 0207 819 6982 

First the phone rang and there was a recorded (posh female) voice saying my broadband was going to be cut off within 24-48 hours due to illegal activity being detected. Press 1 to call back.

Guy answers the phone. Noisy background. He says "Hello?" I say "Who's this?"

He says "This is BT Open Reach" but he does something unexpected with the first vowel sound in BT. ("Bay-Tee").

It's not about accent - these two sounds are the same vowel sounds, if it was the accent he'd pronounce both the ees as ays i.e. Bay-Tay.  

So I said "What company?"  Him: "Bay-Tee. " Me: "What's Bay-Tee?" Him: "OpenReach". Me: "Is that British Telecom?" (no response) "Is that British Telecom?" (no response) "Is this a scam?" (He puts the phone down on me).

Reported.

0 Ratings
PaulBrownsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 707 of 715

And, as I said in an earlier post, the first time I got one of these scams claiming to be from BT in particular (as distinct from the generic 'your provider') was right after I had had an online conversation with real BT about an anomaly in my phone bill.  Like several others, I have a strong suspicion that someone working for BT is passing phone numbers and addresses on to scammers.

0 Ratings
Longshanks0511
Beginner
Message 708 of 715

@PaulBrownseywrote:

..... I have a strong suspicion that someone working for BT is passing phone numbers and addresses on to scammers.

I share your suspicion. I get a spate of "your broadband is about to be terminated unless..." pre-recorded calls which start just after I have placed a BT order. Once the order is complete the calls stop. Symptomatic, it seems to me, of a leak or a hack. 

0 Ratings
Ronnie794
Message 709 of 715

I just had one couldn’t even understand them English was so bad wanted me to go into App Store when I asked why so they could fix my internet I don’t even have but account but sounds just like yours so it’s a scam 

0 Ratings
PaulBrownsey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 710 of 715

Lots of people with sub-Continental accents who are allegedly called Andy or Mike...

0 Ratings