cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delilah
Message 1 of 4

Possible scam phone call

Go to solution

Several days ago I had a phone call which sounded from the gentleman's voice as though it might come from India.  He knew my surname and insisted there was a fault with my 'computer ....... your BT internet and .........'  at which point I interrupted and said 'no there is not because I'm no longer with BT for anything at all' however he continued to talk throughout my response.  1471 produced number 01475 371949 : is this a BT number and, if so, why is BT phoning me?  I was forced to defect after four decades of stubborn customer loyalty ultimately broken by yet another appalling error which consisted of turning up at my OLD address on completion (of sale) day announcing 'we've come to install your phone and broadband' ......... explained NO and showed phone and internet equipment in situ at that address and that job was to install it at NEW address, literally one eighth of mile away, one cul de sac up, looked at poor engineer's paperwork and it was not his fault, paperwork all wrong, several hours on phone until BT admitted, emailed CEO, moved house with neither phone nor BB but CEO's office found me hotspots and phone was working next day, but despair setting in because of inflexibility  - that one cul de sac away was forbidden as  'not my patch', tried everything.  BT treated me fairly with compensation but mistakes on bills and  BB falling off perch all time finally drove me away for good a year later. So, WHY would you be phoning me BT or is that not your number???

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Possible scam phone call

Go to solution

@Delilahwrote:

Several days ago I had a phone call which sounded from the gentleman's voice as though it might come from India.  He knew my surname and insisted there was a fault with my 'computer ....... your BT internet and .........'  at which point I interrupted and said 'no there is not because I'm no longer with BT for anything at all' however he continued to talk throughout my response.  1471 produced number 01475 371949 : is this a BT number and, if so, why is BT phoning me?  I was forced to defect after four decades of stubborn customer loyalty ultimately broken by yet another appalling error which consisted of turning up at my OLD address on completion (of sale) day announcing 'we've come to install your phone and broadband' ......... explained NO and showed phone and internet equipment in situ at that address and that job was to install it at NEW address, literally one eighth of mile away, one cul de sac up, looked at poor engineer's paperwork and it was not his fault, paperwork all wrong, several hours on phone until BT admitted, emailed CEO, moved house with neither phone nor BB but CEO's office found me hotspots and phone was working next day, but despair setting in because of inflexibility  - that one cul de sac away was forbidden as  'not my patch', tried everything.  BT treated me fairly with compensation but mistakes on bills and  BB falling off perch all time finally drove me away for good a year later. So, WHY would you be phoning me BT or is that not your number???

Hi @Delilah

There is no “possible” about it. It is a scam and absolutely nothing to do with BT. The number that they have fooled you into quoting is probably spoofed and not real.

You seemed surprised that they knew your surname.  Is that because you are X directory?

0 Ratings
Delilah
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you - I thought as much, having double checked number twice via 1471.  No harm done, no info provided, just surprised they knew my surname ............. ??wondered if another way of trying to lure me back, my having had several postal invitations to return to the fold which had all but driven me round the bend.  BT still from 2007, started with dial up, BT cut that off whole week before engineer due to install full BB works, disaster and downhill all way until 2015.  I really did try.  Anyway, thanks again for replying.

0 Ratings
Delilah
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

No longer X D, used to be but just surprised they bothered to pick on me given that am no longer a BT customer, hence he so unsubtly gave game away by referring to 'your BT' etc........random selection I guess, good try?? don't think so cos of immediately mentioning wrong provider!  Have had calls before about alleged faults but never naming provider that quickly and getting it wrong.

0 Ratings