cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PROBLEMS100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Problem With Echo On Line When Using The BT 4600 handsets, not at our end but people we call??

Go to solution

Our setup has not changed for about 15 years, only these handsets have, but, when we call people they get an echo at their end when speaking to us, we don't at our end but have no idea why.  We have a little double plug plugged into the BT line box into the house, this runs the handset system and a normal phone, we keep the normal phone to aid hearing when the phone rings and so that we still have contact when there are power cuts as the handsets fail.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Problem With Echo On Line When Using The BT 4600 handsets, not at our end but people we call??

Go to solution

@PROBLEMS100

If you unplug the extra phone, does the echo go away?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
PROBLEMS100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Re: Problem With Echo On Line When Using The BT 4600 handsets, not at our end but people we call??

Go to solution

Hi unplugged the phone and left the handsfree ones plugged in, the echo has diminished but not gone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

@PROBLEMS100 wrote:

Hi unplugged the phone and left the handsfree ones plugged in, the echo has diminished but not gone.

How many phone extensions do you have?

Echo cancellation is a feature of all phones, however it can be upset by a lot of extension wiring, as it alters the line characteristics.

Has your master phone socket got a test socket underneath the bottom section, that you can plug the BT4600 into, as that should disconnect the extension wiring to prove the fault?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
PROBLEMS100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hi  I do not have any extentions, just the one wall box that had in essence a double plug plugged into that directly so that I could plug 2 phones

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@PROBLEMS100 wrote:

Hi  I do not have any extentions, just the one wall box that had in essence a double plug plugged into that directly so that I could plug 2 phones

Thanks for that information.

Do you get your phone service from BT Retail, or another provider?

0 Ratings
PROBLEMS100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

BT

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @PROBLEMS100,

Is the echo still present when you only have the "normal" phone plugged directly into the wall socket, i.e. removing the splitter ?

0 Ratings
PROBLEMS100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

its not gone but its not as bad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@PROBLEMS100 wrote:

its not gone but its not as bad

@PROBLEMS100I have just re-read the thread, and I can see your provider is  BT Retail.

One more question please, do phone calls seem very loud to you, even without the voulme turned up?

This may be a faulty line card in the exchange, or the line gain turned up too high on the line card.

Line gain and echo cancellation is a function of the line card.

0 Ratings