cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Problem with Incoming Calls

I've got a strange issue with incoming calls on my landline. When answered there's an automated voice repeating "The number you have dialled has not been recognised" continuously. It is actually possible to hear the person who's phoning, so it is connecting, but the automated message is constantly played over the top of them. Also, it seems to have a strange effect on the ringer. When someone dials in it produces a single continuous ringing noise as if the ring is being restarted every second or so.

This was working fine a couple of days ago, and nothing has been altered. I've tried plugging the phone into the test socket, but I get the same result. Broadband seems to be working normally.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problem with Incoming Calls

Chances are you have a line fault, your line possibly in contact with another cable pair , as you have confirmed the problem remains when using the test port of the master socket, it’s time to contact your provider and get a fault raised.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks. I've contacted BT (via the online reporting system) to ask them to fix this.

So far the only response has been for someone from BT trying to phone me on the malfunctioning landline. The one I specifically stated on the fault report was having problems with incoming calls and where you couldn't hear the person calling properly because of the endless recorded message playing over the top... 🤔 Took a lot of shouting over the noise to even establish they were from BT, and couldn't get any more sense out of them.

I mean, seriously? The fault is specifically about incoming calls. I tick the box that says CONTACT BY E-MAIL. And they're still trying to get in touch solely on the landline that isn't working...

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Obviously trying to contact you on a faulty line is daft, but it could be the case that before an engineer visit is arranged you need to confirm you are aware that if the problem is on your own wiring or kit ( not likely in your case ) that charges may apply, if you don’t confirm you understand this, they probably won’t arrange a visit ( it’s an easy get out if someone can say ‘no one told me about that‘ ), did you leave an alternative contact number ( a mobile for example ) ?

Anyhow, you can still call BT yourself ( possibly from a mobile ) that way you can accept the potential for charges ,  be happy you have done the checks to prove they won’t apply and get confirmation that the fault has been raised to Openreach

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Yes, they have my mobile number and my e-mail address, neither of which they've attempted to use. No non "daft" get out there I'm afraid. It's just such a ridiculously incompetent response I had to point it out.

Unfortunately I can't call the person back since the number they were using does not accept incoming calls. And no, I'm not running up a huge mobile bill sitting on hold on the general BT line. I've done that before and it's a huge waste of time and money even under normal circumstances.

Since the online form specifically requires you tick a box to agree to those charges, there should not be a reason to call about that. And no, I should not be "happy" if a fix gets held up due to them trying to ask for a permission they already have on a landline they know doesn't work.

Hopefully something is still being done to fix this, but I'll keep this thread updated as a record - for the comedy value if nothing else.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@JEdwardwrote:

Unfortunately I can't call the person back since the number they were using does not accept incoming calls. And no, I'm not running up a huge mobile bill sitting on hold on the general BT line.All calls to 0800 numbers are free, including mobile.  So ring 0800 800 150

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

As already pointed out, you can call BT for ‘free’, but obviously you may not want to wait in a queue given that you feel you have already provided consent, If you logged onto your BT account , thereby confirming you are the account holder, and there is a box to check confirming acceptance of the potential charges, then as you say, you shouldn’t have to reconfirm it with a phone call....
TBH, most large organisations don’t offer the opportunity to call back someone who called you, generally some staff make outgoing calls, others receive incoming calls, there is no reason to have to speak to the individual who called you.
Obvious it’s literally your call, I would have thought that you calling them may speed things up
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I have great sympathy with this catch 22 position. I have had similar problems. If a direct free call on your mobile does not break through, then you can only log a formal complaint. Took me 2 years to fail to get a satisfactory result. They (BT) reply on you forgetting some detail, so its definitely your fault, when it it is not. You have to be very quick and precises. to get a small refund. They know that moving to another provider is probably no solution as they all have their own problems and its just the luck of the draw if you get an above average service. I had a "double" connection with another STD exchange phoning out, for which I cannot work out even a possible explanation. (apart from a really clever Gremlin with forensic memory - as it had to know both of my relatives (who live 5 miles apart) phone numbers on the Basingstoke Exchange ).  

0 Ratings