Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
campbela
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Problem with contacts on BT6500 with BT8600

Hi,

I recently purchased a BT8600 with single handset to replace my existing BT6500 setup.  I wanted to re-use the 3 handsets on the BT6500 as there was nothing wrong with them.

All seemed fine at first.  The BT6500 handsets registered OK.  The contacts that I entered into the BT8600 handset synced with the BT6500 handsets.  Then I tried to use one of the BT6500 hansets to initiate a call and I was told that the number I dialed had not been recognised.  Attempting the same thing from the BT8600 handset worked OK.

The contacts telephone number looked OK and was the same on both the BT8600 and the BT6500 handset.  When I tried to use the contact on the BT6500 to initiate a call I noticed that the number had been prefixed with 0000.

I tried deleting the contact and re-creating it both on the BT8600 handset and the BT6500 handset but ended with the same result.

Anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it or is it just that they are almost compatible but not quite?

Thanks

Alan

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem with contacts on BT6500 with BT8600

I've just hit the same issue after finding that the BT 6500 base unit provides unreliable operation of Caller Display due to a design fault.

The BT 8600 base unit seems flawless with regards to Caller Display.  It also has a better answer phone.

But there seem to be several issues with using a BT 6500 handset on a BT 8600 base unit, such as using the Contacts list, and Call Control operation.   As Alan has noted, all calls initiated from the contacts list on a BT 6500 handset get prefixed with 0000.    I tend to agree with Alan that these units are "almost compatible but not quite".  Perhaps someone went out of their way to make sure that old handsets can't be used with newer base units.  If so, it wouldn't be the first time that profit considerations have taken priority over environmental considerations.

0 Ratings
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

That's odd.  I've just made a successful call from the BT 6500 using the Contacts list on the BT 8600 base unit.

I'm not sure what happened to make it work, but I'm beginning to think that there might be a workaround.   I had been fiddling with the PBX code at the time, but this may be unrelated.  I'll do some more tests at the weekend.

0 Ratings
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I've completed another round of tests to assess the degree of compatibility between BT 6500 handsets and a BT 8600 base unit.

The basic call handling features of the BT 6500 handset are supported by the BT 8600 base unit.  But note that the shape of the BT 6500 and BT 8600 handsets is different, so they can only be charged using their own dedicated charger or base unit.

Here are the known compatibility issues:
1) A BT 6500 handset cannot access the Call Control menu.
2) Without implementing a temporary workaround, the BT 6500 will fail to correctly dial numbers via the stored Contacts list (the subject of this discussion, as started by Alan aka campbela).
3) Without implementing a temporary workaround, the BT 6500 will fail to correctly dial codes for setting/checking features via the BT Calling Features menu.

Here is the temporary workaround, to be carried out from each  BT 6500 handset:
a) Go into the Settings menu, and select 'Base settings', then 'PBX code'.
b) Check that the code is empty.  If not empty, clear any digits.
c) Press 'Save'.

You will now be able to successfully use the Contacts list and the BT Calling Features menu.

However, this is only a temporary fix.  If the handset does a re-sync of handset data (such as after changing the handset batteries), you will need to run the workaround again.

There may be a better workaround, but this is the best I have come up with so far.  Feedback would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I'm currently experimenting with another workaround that might turn out to be more robust.  Here is the experimental procedure that might be more immune to a re-sync of handset data:

To be carried out from any BT 6500 handset:
a) Go into the Settings menu, and select 'Base settings', then 'PBX code'.
b) Check that the code is empty.  If not empty, clear any characters using the 'Clear' key.
c) Press and hold the '0' (zero) key until a letter 'P' is displayed.
d) Press 'Save'.

0 Ratings