cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mistymoo16
Message 1 of 88

Problems with call guardian on BT8500

I have just bought a BT8500 phone. I have added all main contacts to the phone but when we try to ring it call guardian is asking for the caller to identify themselves even though the number is stored in contacts. I have it on the announce setting which means that callers need to say who they are unless they are saved in contacts but it is asking people to do this even if they are in contacts. Any ideas why? I have only just ordered caller ID which wont be working for another few hours, is this the problem or should it let saved contacts through regardless of whether caller ID is working?

Thanks

0 Ratings
87 REPLIES 87
Beagle2722
Message 2 of 88

Re: Problems with call guardian on BT8500

Hi, the BT8500 uses CLI (Caller ID), so even though the names are in your contacts, until the CLI is turned on, it wont recognise them. It will all work fine once this is turned on.

0 Ratings
HJD
Message 3 of 88

I recently purchased this telephone,  It is very complicated. At the moment I feel like chucking it in the bin.   When someone phones me, I pick it up, say hello,  nothing, I've lost them.  My son is complaining that I keep cutting him off although  his  name and number is on  the list.         It is probably me, but I would hope for something simpler

0 Ratings
HJD
Message 4 of 88

How do you turn on the cli?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Geosam
Message 5 of 88

If I set my phone up with Guardian off, can I change this when my caller display is activated please
0 Ratings
lizsharp
Message 6 of 88

Like you, I am totally frustrated -I got my phone 2 days ago and am having similar problems. I have caller ID and the gaurdian set to announce. Sometimes my daughter, who is in the contact list, comes straight through but other times she is sent to the answer phone. My dentist who is also in the contact list came through on announce.

So there isn't even consistency in the way calls are dealt with! Will be contacting BT in the morning

0 Ratings
adie1
Contributor
Message 7 of 88

to turn on cli you will need to contact bt on 0800 800 150 and ask for cli to be switched on. it may be chargeable or free depending on what calling package you have. you can also do it at bt.com

0 Ratings
teladi1413
Message 8 of 88

I too am ready to bounce my BT8500 off a wall. Have had it about 6 weeks and complete waste of time and money. Problem is that it refuses to identify numbers even though caller id working.

each time i try to get my problem resolved I get told a new story.

If I want 8500 to work as intended then I have to remove adsl filters so no internet. If I want internet then 8500 does not work with filters installed.

Anysuggetions gratefully recieved

0 Ratings
Johnmorris278
Contributor
Message 9 of 88

I too have just purchased (from BT Shop) this phone.
All my contacts have been entered into the "phonebook". With full area code etc.
But many of these callers are still being intercepted.
Call Guardian is set to Announce. And I have caller ID enabled by BT.
I've tried using it with my mobile. Both with my mobile number in the phonebook. The call connects, as it should. And with my mobile number not in the phonebook. It gets intercepted, and I get an Announce message.
So you'd say it's working. But it isn't, because lots of numbers are being rejected.
It's like other people have said, it's random.
Any suggestions BT, if you're monitoring these calls. You've obviously got a problem with some of these phones.
0 Ratings
bigdave17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 88

My handsets appear to be semi crashing form time to time.  One handset stopped ringing, but the biggest issue is that when I press the green button to answer a call no one hears me and I don't hear them.  I called BT help and was told to take out the batteries.  Well, that doesn't help when I want to receive a call.  Next she gave me handset reset instructions.  None of these answers are satisfactory.  These handsets need a software upgrade.  Until then I have to consider the BT8500 is not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings