Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 88

Re: Problems with call guardian on BT8500

I have exactly the same problem . Numbers on my contact list are being asked to announce themselves although their name then shows up in my calls list. However iof I call from my mobile the call is put throuugh immediately.

I have asked BT about this and this is their answer:

"The BT 8500 screens or allows a call dependent on how the number is presented when they call.

If there is any difference in the way the number shows, it will screen them but show them in the calls list as the contact in the phone book.

We would recommend deleting their number from the phone book, get them to call you after you have done that (they will be screened) and then put their number into the phone book from the calls list"

I do not understand this explantion and have asked them what these "differences" are.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 88

The full national number must be stored as a contact, local dialling codes do not work.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 88

Thanks Keith but I have been most scrupulous in doing that. BT help line have cited the insertion of a + sign in some mobile numbers as possible cause but that is irelevant in my case which . Their only suggestion is that I delete every affected caller's number, ask them to call again and add the number from the calls list. My confidence in the BT8500 is shattered. Why is the problem not more prevalent if it is due to some quirk in number presentaion? That is not something which I myself have caused and all of my contacts are now suspect until they call me.

I am unable to read your notes but any further suggestions would be welcome.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 88

There is nothing in my notes that will help, as they are mostly to do with BT Broadband problems and not phone issues.

I cannot suggest anything else, but ther are quite a few posts on this forum relating to this phone.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 88

Update.

BT help line (phone) suggest a base reset and I have done that now. It means that all my blocked numbers have been deleted but my contacts are still intact. We will see how it goes. They claim they have not seen this problem before!! 

bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 88

Update.... the base reset suggested by the help desk has made no difference at all. Some numbers on my contact list come straight through but others are asked to "announce". All my contact list numbers (even local ones) have the full dialling code on the contact list. I am keeping notes of all my incoming calls to see if there is any pattern to whether they are accepted or not but it is a very slow process. Meanwhile I am very disappointed with this phone. It does not do everything that it says on the tin. Although it does filter out nuisance  callls it has introduced this new nuisance to my callers.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 88

If I understand you correctly your locals callls come through OK without the area code. but what about those calls not from local numbers?

I ask this because I have this same erratic fault ... some callls are accepted but others are intercepted. There seems to no logical pattern yet.

BT help desk claim not to have come across the problem!!

0 Ratings
frustratedtoo
Beginner
Message 28 of 88

Hi as I stated before my problems were cured by taking out the area code prefix for any numbers using the local code.

In my case that was the gloucester area code, 01452, any numbers in the phone memory with that code I simply took out the dialing prefix.  01452xxxxxx became xxxxxx. It has definitely worked for me, I even missed one number when going through phone memory deleting prefix and filtering kicked in on this number, I took out prefix and asked for a call back and it worked fine then. People on here saying you need the prefix on all numbers are clearly wrong, they may not have tried this, I have and it has fixed the problem for me.

I also spoke to BT help line and was told all the same answers(not heard of this before, reset base, delete number and re input or save when called from the number) none of these fixed my problem, was about to reluctantly send phone back and ask for money back as not fit for purpose. I then read the post from Gadjet, and with nothing to loose I tried his fix, and have been fine from then on.

Thinking I was being helpful I contacted BT help to explain what had fixed my problem, they showed little interest even though I said it had def fixed it for me(these things are very complicated, don't believe all you read on the internet, you are the only one with this problem etc etc etc). In my non technical opinion I believe there must be some software problem with the phone which BT are either ignoring/cant fix/not interested/don't care.

It is such a pity as this is a brilliant system, my wife and myself work at home and could sometimes get up to 10 nuisance call in one hour, these have now all stopped and our time is our own again. I would so love to reccomend this system to many friends and family who are suffering in the same way as we did, but cannot yet until BT reconise and fix this problem.

frustratedtoo
Beginner
Message 29 of 88

It did take me a little while to see the only problems I was having was with only local area codes as sometimes these local area dialing codes cover quite a large graphical area. I have not had any other problems at all. Other national numbers still have the dialing prefix and all work as they should, eg filter or come straight though if in phone book or on allowed list, also not had any problems with mobile numbers with filtering kicking in when it should not. Hope this helps some of you experiencing problems, as now sorted my life is good and no more time waisting fending off unwanted calls/letting all calls go to answering machine, I now own my phone line again.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 88

But are all your non-local numbers getting through even with the dialling codes? Taking out the local area codes is not the solution for me, I think, because I get "some" local calls as per the manual. I also get "some" non-local calls which have been asked to announce themselves but are on the contacts list. I have noticed no pattern to the problem but only a few of my contacts have tried to call me so it may a long time before a pattern emerges. I am not even sure that "allowed" numbers are getting through because there is no list showing which numbers have been allowed. One thing is certain ... my phone does not work as it should and BT are not being any help at all. It is just not practicable to delete the contacts list and ask everryone to call me so that I can put them back on the list.

0 Ratings