cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 88

Re: Problems with call guardian on BT8500

Sorry. I now realise that you have answered my first question. I suppose it is just possiible that there is no universal rule for the way numbers are presented and that Gloucester and others are doing it differently to the rest of the exchanges. Thet would explain both of our problems . But I would have thought that OfCOm (or similar) would have picked this up long ago and brought everyone into line.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 88

Reading up on area codes etc on the internet I see that there is a recommendation to put a space between the area code and the rest of the number when used in databases. I wonder whether this applies to phone lists too? If so it is very poor for BT not to have said so in the manual which comes with the phone. On second thoughts outgoing calls seem to work with no space when dialled direct from the contact list so that idea may be a red herring.

0 Ratings
Jay47
Beginner
Message 33 of 88

Re: call guardian on BT8500

I'm finding this new phone has cut by 100 per cent, all those annoying "number withheld2  "out of area"  "international" nuisance calls, so I love it....  one weird problem though;  although I have listed two particular friends (each of whom also uses the BT8500 and call guardian) in my VIP and contacts lists, they fail to get through to me using their BT landline phone.    Only tonight did I find what I'm hoping is a work around in the little manual that came with the phone.  As I read it, it seems that if I list them in my 'speed dial' numbers, they will get through to me without call guardian even being involved.  Time will tell.  We're testing tonight!

0 Ratings
Jay47
Beginner
Message 34 of 88

This might just be the tip I was looking for:  up till now, only two (local, ie same county) friends could never

get through except by mobile to my 8500 call guardian phone...  I've followed your advice and removed their pre-dialled local area codes, in the hope this will now solve the mystery which BT could not clear for me!  Thank you.   Will post again if it works.  If so, we should make sure this tip is HIGHLIGHTED I think.

0 Ratings
Jay47
Beginner
Message 35 of 88

UPdate - this did not work. But looking back over the earlier posts, I see that "Gadjet" appears to have found the key to local callers not getting through - he only records the actual number and not the pre-dialled, local area code. Will try this tomorrow for my two local callers who are the only ones not able to reach me!
0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 88

If that works for you .... great! But I cannot envisage any basic technical reason why it should be necessary to remove local area codes  but not removes other landline area codes. They should all operates in the same way for Heaven's sake!

I get the impression that  BT are hiding theirxr heads in the sand on theis issue. They are in denial that a problem exists. I wonder if there will be a new model appearing soon with the problem fixed?. Is it possible that the BT8500 owners who have this problem can cooperate in presenting a joint case to BT.  Maybe the first step would be to direct BT's attention to this forum. What is the best way to do that? Do they not read it? It bears their logo after all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 37 of 88

I have just purchased Call Guardian and many numbers in my contacts list are not coming directly through.  Even my mobile is saying "No number" when I have not restricted my number nor withheld it.  My mobile phone company say there is nothing wrong with the phone and it is not withheld as they can see it when I call them.

BT continue to suggest that I have withheld numbers or they are ex directory but this is not the case.  Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next please.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 88

dchamberlain

Do you have Caller Display enabled on your phone line?

Does the phone number of the person calling, show on the display?

I'm having problems with Caller Display

Is the facility switched on?

If you've ordered Caller Display check it's switched on by entering the code * # 234 #.

If it's active you'll get the message Caller identity will be displayed. If the facility isn't active then activate it using the code * 234 #.

0 Ratings
Jay47
Beginner
Message 39 of 88

?tried listing your contacts in Speed Dial? that's supposed to guarantee they get through, irrespective, and without interference by the Guardian... (did not work on mine!)
0 Ratings
Jay47
Beginner
Message 40 of 88

" my wife is driving me insane " - sorry to hear this. Have you tried putting contacts' nos. onto "Speed Dial" According to the manual, this lets them through every time and without interference of the Guardian... did not work on mine!
0 Ratings