cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldHarveian
Message 41 of 88

Re: Problems with call guardian on BT8500

I posted this review late last year,  do any of you agree with my comments or am I on my own?   

''VERY disappointed with this phone - I do not understand all the 5* reviews. All the facilities work but the implementation is hopeless. A few problems are; Message asking to identify oneself is distorted and rather quiet: Having left their name it is almost inaudible to me and poor quality; the announcement of the callers name starts the moment you accept the call so by the time you have the phone to your ear the message has already started: there is no way to review the blocked callers list, nor the accept list: the answerphone message is nearly inaudible on the handset (but fine on the base), if the handset is asleep the first digit pressed merely wakes the phone so does not register the 0, as I live in an 0118 area code this means I dial directory enquiries (the last mistake cost me £4.30); the calls list is hardly intuitive; etc etc! If you buy one of these I hope you can live with its faults - how BT can put their name to it amazes me.''

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 88

Re: call guardian on BT8500

I am still having the old problem with my BT8500 in that some callers in my phone book are being asked to announce themselves while others on the same area code are not. BT now say 

If only some contacts are being sceened, it means that the phone is not finding a match with caller display and your phone book when they call. 

How can that be true when the phone displays the caller's name and number correctly but still asks for an announcement?. Is Caller Display accessing some database which I cannot control?

0 Ratings
Maroussie
Message 43 of 88

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 88

@ Maroussie
to get help with your problem you need to post more information on the problem you have
0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 88

The saga continues. To recap .... some of the numbers on my contacts list are being asked to announce themselves. BT suggested deleting the contact, asking the person to cal later and announce and then re-adding the number to  to the contact list direct from the phone.

After deleting the contact the person called and was put straight through and his name showed on the screen even though even though it was not on my list!!!

After updating the contact direct as suggested the caller was again asked to announce. This is crazy.

0 Ratings
bruckshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 88

Persisting with the advice from BT I have repeated their advice by entering a screened contact direct from the calls list. BT's procedure does not work ...  the caller still has to announce him/herself. This is only true for some contacts, not all of them. I have proposed returning my phones under warranty if BT cannot make any further suggestions. They do not work as they are claimed to work consistently. 

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 88

My own saga may prove informative for you. I had callerId service working quite happily until about the time that my local exchange went fibre broadband live. Then suddenly my three cordless BT phones stopped displaying numbers. I had the usual words with the BT callcentre who gave me the usual run around the block on each occasion.
After a couple of years I had rather given up, and so convinced myself that it was probably three faulty phones. I decided to get the new BT8500. the first one arrived, and I was annoyed that a brand new out of the box phone should be faulty, and told Amazon so, in no uncertain terms. They didn't quibble, and sent me a replacement. Imagine my chagrin when the second phone wouldn't play either!
By now I had become reader of this forum. I went back to the support line for the Phone, and in conversation with a supervisor, he said it sounded like a line fault, and not equipment. So he suggested that I get a friend who had a line with callerId working on it, and a cordless phone, and I should take my phone to that friend and plug my phone into that line & see if it worked. I did this, and Lo! and Behold! the BT 8500 worked like a dream!
Armed with this knowledge ,I went back at BT armed with some knowledge. It was about this time that I started to see on the forums mention being made of a nationwide problem being faced by the organisation, who could not guess how or when they might have it fixed.
Imagine my surprise when, this morning at breakfast, I noticed my Broadband light flashing on my router. I know that this usually means that BT are line testing, as they usually do a line test after each complaint I have made.
I was therefore taken aback to receive a few minutes later, a call from a BT engineer, who asked me if I now had a number displayed on my handset. I looked, and there it was!!! I begged him to tell me what he had finally managed to do that BT had steadfastly maintained was not happening. He said that he had replaced a lot of equipment at the exchange, renewing where my line terminated in the exchange, renewing the gizmo that makes the dial tone, and such like embellishments.
I now have a phone that performs as the adverts say it should. And the 2 sky+HD boxes and the Brother all-in-one printer/scanner/fax along with the Broadband router and its associated microfilter , all of which are shoehorned into the single master BT box make no difference to the smooth functioning of the BT 8500.
So, if you are having issues with callerID not functioning properly. it is an almost dead cert that the cause is ancient, archaic BT infrastructure which is not fit for purpose in servicing modern, highly sensitive cordless equipment, and your problems will magically disappear once they replace the kit they sourced from North Korea. Don't hold your breath, and don't blame the BT8500 either.
0 Ratings
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 88

Having the exact same issue here now as well. Some calls from my contact list get through ok, whereas others, specifically a couple of relatives, have now had to start identifying themselves. Very frustrating indeed. Up until now the phone worked well to be honest. But suddenly my elderly relatives find it a bit daunting when they phone me 😕

0 Ratings
barnstormer50
Beginner
Message 49 of 88

All these problems are very familiar. I got told to delete phone book entries then save the number from the calls list - didn't work. Still have calls to those numbers intercepted. The fact that people are told to do this lends credence to the comment somewhere on here about BTs cli having a problem. What have have also notice on our phones is that numbers in the phone book are getting corrupted to 01000000000recurring. Could that be why incoming calls are not recognised? Of course numbers corrupted like this don't work when making outgoing calls - number not recognised!!! When I select "Edit" to correct the number it changes back to the correct number on that screen but is still corrupted when selected. In my view this is a product which has been rushed to market without proper testing. BT has a strong letter on the way!!!

Update - the corrupted numbers are only those which have called us and the 010000000ect is a prefix to the actual number. I've turned Call Guardian OFF.
0 Ratings
jazznorthwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 88

Don't have a problem with distorted or quiet messages. I did have the problem with the name coming through before I had got the phone to my ear, but this was because the default setting means that your phone answers the call immediately you take it out of the charger. I simply changed Menu - Settings - Call Settings - Auto Answer - OFF. That does mean you have to press the green button to answer the call, but at least the phone is in your hand ready to listen.  I have Auto End Call set to ON so that it hangs up when I place the phone back in the holder, should I forget to press the red button.