cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cryption
Message 51 of 88

Re: Problems with call guardian on BT8500

Hi I just registered to let others know that I've been experiencing the same problem and how I fixed it. I recently switched to sky and my call guardian stopped working properly and was making everyone announce. It also was not showing caller id so I thought perhaps caller id was not on. I rang up sky and they confirmed my caller id was turned off, so call guardian was registering every call as an unknown call and screening it because it could not identify the numbers and thus could not link them to my phonebook. So for anyone having a similar problem just check and make sure your caller ID service is turned on with your telephone provider- it could be a simple fix if thats the case.

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 88

Re: call guardian on BT8500

We have the same problem with just one caller who is set up in Contacts. We have discovered that she has her phone set to withhold caller ID, so suspect that this is the problem
0 Ratings
FraserR
Message 53 of 88

At the moment BT have enabled (and after two sessions waiting for a phone to be answered at BT, confirmed as enabled and that I am being charged for it...) Caller ID on my phone line and it simply doesn't work! Therefore none of the white listed numbers will be allowed through because there is no number for the phone to recognise. BT even sent an engineer round, who just looked at me incredulously and said "Surely Caller ID is either enabled or it's not? It's not an engineering problem". Well is it?

So I have a business BT line, BT infrastructure, and now a BT phone. It really isn't anyone elses problem, but nobody wants to take responsibiity!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 88

@FraserR wrote:

So I have a business BT line, BT infrastructure, and now a BT phone. It really isn't anyone elses problem, but nobody wants to take responsibiity!

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

One of the moderators on that forum should be able to get it sorted.

Thanks

0 Ratings
TrickyRicky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 88

I've had a set of 3 of these phones for 6 weeks now, and they have been working perfectly. Yesterday morning my neighbour came round to say that he had been calling us, but had got no reply. I checked the phone and it showed that his call had got as far as the phone, and been blocked. His name was displayed in the list, so caller ID had been working.

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting next to the phone in the lounge, and I could hear a phone ringing upstairs..... I checked the phone upstairs and it showed a missed call from my daughter - it hadn't rung at all on the phones downstairs. Can't understand why the phones should work perfectly for 6 weeks, then all of a sudden start not ringing/blocking calls. The phone book entries haven't been changed, and the caller ID is working as these calls have been recognised and identified by the handsets. I have phoned the house from my mobile and got straight through.

Neighbour, daughter and my mobile are all in the "speed dial" list.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
PaulT1952
Message 56 of 88

I am having exactly the same problem,  my 8500 has worked fine since September but now asks some callers to announce themselves even though they are in the directory. Have BT given a solution yet or have we bought a duff product?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
TrickyRicky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 88

Hi Paul, not yet sure if it is "a duff product". After posting my last post, (within 2 days), they had settled down again. I changed nothing in the contacts list, and nothing in the house wiring. Since then they have worked flawlessly?

I don't know, (I don't have the technical knowledge), but I wondered if there was a problem with caller ID on the BT side...

I know if I get calls from numbers not in my contacts, then they display as numbers until I add the number to my contacts and give it a name, then all previous calls from that number take the name I have given them. If the call came in without caller ID, then I assume the phone won't recognise it and automatically let the call through. Not really sure... All I can say is that they are, for now, doing exactly as they are supposed to.

Rick

0 Ratings
MartinC007
Beginner
Message 58 of 88

I recently purchased the BT8500 and also find that some, but not all of the numbers listed in the directory get challenged (enough for it to feel like a problem). So far if I answer the call with option 2 the next time they ring it does appear to be okay. 

I am sure there must be a simple explanation as to why, maybe the caller ID is in a slightly different format than the stored number but as the announced call displays the directory's entered name it does seem that the phone has established that there is a match.

The other thing I have noticed is that numbers that are stored under the Home and Mobile icon, when the home number is selected the phone displays Mobile, and when the mobile number selected the phone displays Home, is anyone else finding this?

I used to have on average three nuisance calls a day and since installing the phone I have had none in about three weeks so it certainly works. If they could sort out the software glitches it would certainly seem to be close to the ideal phone.

I would however like to see a few improvements such as:

- the keys above the keypad being lit so you can see them in the dark.

- the ability to display the blocked numbers

- the ability to display the allowed numbers

I suspect the reason that the last two are not available is because the list could be very long, however it could perhaps have the ability to send the information to an email address or have some other inventive way of extracting the information. 

I am always mystified why landline phones have such poor displays, I know that the screens that they use for mobile phones are probably far too expensive but these phones have displays that look like they are from the 1990's, there must be a halfway house where inexpensive displays can be made with sharper graphics.

Does anyone know if it possible to update the software on these phones or is the only way of fixing the glitches to replace the phones? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TrickyRicky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 59 of 88

Hi Martin,

Don't know if you can update the software, but I note that BT are now sending out emails advertising the BT8600 all new super douper call blocker?

As far as the 8500 is concerned, apart from the initial glitch, it seems to be doing exactly as designed.

R

0 Ratings
chime
Contributor
Message 60 of 88

@MartinC007 wrote:

Does anyone know if it possible to update the software on these phones.......

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/8500-Announce-Mode-woes/m-p/1442310#M41471

Messages 4-8.

0 Ratings