cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephnew
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Problems with phone lines - residential

we have a home with an outbuilding in which hubby works. He has a business line for work and broadband, and a link to the residential line in there also.

We also have a phone downstairs in the sitting room (corded) a phone down in the hallway (corded) and the one in the office is a radio phone with an extension into the kitchen. All these are the residential line.

There is also an extension on the landing on the back stairs which has never rung, but does work. (residential line!)

Maybe we have gone over the REN value?

A couple of weeks ago hubby was quite ill, and in recovery started to work indoors. So we  moved the radio phone

indoors and plugged it in to the extension on the stairs.

He bought a new corded phone and plugged it in, in his office, and we have tried unplugging everything except the corded phone in the office, but still it does not ring.

We are now back to the previous situation where the radio phone is plugged in on the stairs, the kitchen extension (radio phone) works, and the phone on the downstairs landing does  ring, but the one in the office and the one in the downstairs sitting room does not ring!!! (the residential line).

We have tested every phone with the main socket, and all are working ok. Is it a problem with the line, the phone, or is the mix of corded and non corded phones that is the problem. The main socket is a brand new one replaced early last year, during a previous problem, which BT resolved and put right at their expense.

I also noticed that there is a BT engineer working on the BT box just down the road, so maybe there is something else causing this problem, external to us...this has happened before!!!

Any simple answers very much appreciated...cheers..

steph

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problems with phone lines - residential

Sounds like a problem with your internal wiring/setup. I can 100% guarantee it would have nothing to do with that Openreach Engineer working in the box down the road because there is nothing they can do in that box that would affect individual extension sockets.

If it was something he did it would affect all the sockets in the house, including the master one.

stephnew
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Ok, so just need to be certain. Is there any problem with mixing corded and non corded phones on a line? Cheers.

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Hi steph
I have a mixture of 2 corded and 1 cordless phone (2 handsets) on my line
never had any problems they all ring.
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Hi

What you could just try is to plug an ADSL filter into the socket and plug the phone into that, see if the phone rings ok then.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
stephnew
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Oops OK thanks to everyone who has offered help so far! Just a beginner here.

The cordless phone we have is a BT Verve 500 Digital phone, with one satellite.

Here is another question. the phones have sims inside, which copy numbers to them. Nowadays, BT don't seem to make this model any more, I don't think. We can get them off e*** however - do you know if it is possible to copy the old sims onto a new sim? We don't want to lose any of the numbers we have, and if we get a new type of phone we may not have one with a sim in it.

Also, second question. The verve phones both seem to be marked with a REN of 1. The corded phones also have a REN of 1.  Counting up the REN amount of phones we have, it seems we have a total of 4 at present, or do the two wireless phones count as a REN of 1? The blurb with the phone says that you have can many more satellites from the main base unit, but surely that would cause problems with ringing not happening, if the REN number exceeds 4? Is that right?

Thanks Steph

0 Ratings
Highlighted
stephnew
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Where would I get an ASDL filter, and what does it do? Sorry to be such a dimwit, this is a learning curve for us, as we just cannot find anyone who knows about phones that we can have a proper talk to face to face!! Thank you....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

If you have got broadband you should have one plugged into every socket that has a phone/skybox/answering machine plugged in.

There is circuitry inside the filter that may allow your phone to ring correctly

Maybe worth borrowing one from a neighbour just to prove.

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
stephnew
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Would we need that filter if the broadband was on a completely different line which it is.. Just a thought...

Thanks steph

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

No if you dont have BB on the line you don't need a filter, it just may solve the problem if you try one in the socket you are having the problem with.