cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somhairle
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Puzzling Charges

I have noticed on my last 2 bills a call charge being made to 123. This has happened on 15 July at 19:06 and 19 Oct at 11:17. I know that no one in the house made these calls, so am wondering what they are and why  am being charged for them.

Anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Puzzling Charges

123 is the Speaking Clock.

I’m not saying it is this as it’s not really a problem these days but up to a few years ago it was common for Openreach Engineers to ring 123 from a line when testing for what they call, ‘Stops’. If the speaking clock told the time they knew it was a working line if they got a continuous tone then it meant it was a Stopped Line. What they didn’t realise was that the Speaking Clock was a chargeable Service, they genuinely assumed it was a free service.

A memo went out to all Engineers telling them to stop it immediately and if they needed to check a line was stopped was to either try dialling a free phone number or their own mobile and cut it off after a couple of rings.

somhairle
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for that. I did wonder if that could be the answer. My neighbour has had Openreaach out at least once that I am aware of and they may have tested from the street.

0 Ratings
SpiderPig
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

@somhairle 

Do you have anything connected to your line that could have made the call? (for example a house alarm)

SP

0 Ratings