Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HGri
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Question about cost of new pole

Go to solution

This is not an idea - I want to post a question to ask the community if they can help, and this is the only place I have found on the forum where I can find the option to add a new post....

Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get a new pole put in to move a BT line?

I am asking because we have a phone line that goes across where we want to build a garage.  The BT line is currently attached to an electricity pole, and I've established that the power line is high enough not to be a problem with the garage, and the BT line can't be moved higher as there needs to be a minimum distance between the power and BT lines.  I've contacted Openreach (which was a lengthy and irrritating saga in itself) but they refuse to give me any ballpark idea of costs, and want to charge me £300 for a survey before giving me any information whatsoever about their charges for anything else.  I fully accept that we'd need a survey to get a proper quote, but I only want to proceed with the survey if I have an idea that the final costs aren't going to be absolutely prohibitive.  They wouldn't give me any idea of minimum or maximum or typical costs to the nearest £20,000.  It's daylight robbery - no honest business charges hundreds of pounds just to provide up front information about their potential fees. 

So if anyone has had any info/experience of getting a new pole put in, I'd be grateful for your advice.  Thanks 🐵

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
HGri
Beginner
Message 2 of 24

Can overhead lines be attached to a building?

Go to solution

We have an overhead BT line going across the corner of our property, and we want to build a garage there.  Does anyone know:

1) Can the BT line be attached to the side of the garage instead of putting a new pole in?

2) If we have to put in a new pole, approximately how much will it cost?  I know it will depend on the exact circumstances but I'm just looking for a ball park idea.

I've tried contacting Openreach but they won't give me any information at all, without charging me £300 for a survey.  Even when I asked them IF the survey said a new pole was required, would it PROBABLY cost less than £20,000, they refused to say.  Clearly I don't want to pay £300 just to find out it was always going to be so much that we'd be better off building the garage further along, or changing the design.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Re: Question about cost of new pole

Go to solution

Hi @HGri

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

I have moved your post to the "phones" board where it's more relevant.  Apologies for the problems you had finding where to post.  Here is the link to show you how to post a new message

As we are a service provider you may not find the answer to your question here.  This question is for Openreach as I know you're aware as you've been in touch with them.  Maybe another community member who has asked this before may be able to shed some light or give you a rough idea.

Ultimately, a survey will need to be done to understand the work involved before providing you with the cost and as far as I'm aware there isn't any way around that I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
HGri
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks Robbie.  I found the link to explain how to post originally but try as I might the 'new message' button just wasn't there. Then it did suddenly appear when I looked at the ideas board so I posted there.  And when I went back to 'phones' later there was one there too, where there hadn;t been before.  maybe my account was just slow to catch up as it were.  Anyway - all good now.

I do understand that I'll need a survey to get a proper cost, but for now I just want a ball park, and I am hoping that another community member will help me, since Openreach won't help even the smallest bit without paying them hundreds of pounds.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

A survey fee was introduced because many people would ask BT/OR for a estimate of costs for this type of discretionary work, a bespoke estimate would be produced ( a visit to site and possibly many man hours of work) for the requester to say thanks but no thanks...

As far as your situation, it's not necessarily just the cost of providing and installing a pole, there could be other costs to consider, but a very,very rough guide would be around £1000 for the cost of providing the pole, but the total cost of a scheme could easily be double that, depending on what else is required...if the costs were £2000, the £300 survey is deducted leaving £1700 to pay, obviously if you decided not to proceed once the costs are known, they don't return the £300

Its not like getting a quote for double glazing, where in effect the 'free quote' is to drum up business,and the 'profit' margin pays for the quotes that are not turned into orders, the figure is  based on actual cost to OR , they don't make money on these type of jobs, more like costs are covered with a small margin

HGri
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

That's really helpful, thank you so much.  I fully understand it's not like double glazing, but for Openreach to refuse to even tell me whether it would be more or less than £20,000 is ridiculous.  I just wanted a vague ball park, and that is what you've given me, I really appreciate it.  

0 Ratings
Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
Hi, did you get your pole replaced? And how much dud it cost?
We are in the process of trying to get a line connected and BT are saying we need a new pole and will let us know how much it will cost
If we pay for this pole dose it belong to us, can we stop BT connecting other people to it?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

No it won't belong to you.

Why would you want to stop anybody else using it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Openreach would deal with the  provision of the pole, not BT Retail. The pole would be owned by Openreach, and they are free to do whatever they want with it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
The Pole wouldn’t be owned by Openreach.

It would be owned by the BT Group plc. The Branch Network, or Last Mile as it’s commonly known as is managed by Openreach but it still remains the property of the BT Group plc.
0 Ratings