Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: Question about cost of new pole

Go to solution

Silvertiffy is your situation the same  as the OP ?, they had service, and wanted OR to alter the existing line lineplant so the service 'entered' the already served address at a different point, this is discretionary work, so is chargeable....if a pole had to be put up to provide a residential dwelling ( listed as such with the PO ) with its initial service , to satisfy the Universal Service Obligation (USO)  then that pole is provided as part of installing the line , it's only if  many poles or lots of other work is required to get initial service to a property and the total costs of the work exceeds £3400 that the 'customer' pays anything other than the standard install charge ,  if for example the costs were £5000, then the customer would be expected to pay £1600 (£5000-£3400)

0 Ratings
konami
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

interesting info, thanks for sharing

0 Ratings
Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Thank you for the response.

I think i understand your response, but can I just check?

I do not understand all the acronyms sorry but i think you are saying if I am residential and there is not present pole suitable the BT/Openreach are obliged to provied the pole with out charge as long as the cose is less than £3,500?

We do have a pole, which apparently it to far way and on the other side of the road so any cable would droop across the road and be a traffic hazard. therefor a new pole outside our property is required.

I hope that then means BT are obliged to supply without cost the new pole

0 Ratings
Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution
if ive have had to pay for it why should someone else use it for free
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Love to have you as a neighbour!!

Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution
love to have your bank account
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

If the address is a regular domestic dwelling , and currently has no service ( and presumably hasn't had service in the past) , and to get the statutory height across a road with an overhead telephone cable ( a dropwire) another pole needs to be erected , then that isn't chargeable work, basically it's Openreach's responsibility under the USO.
The USO is that everyone in the UK is entitled to a telephony service at a reasonable cost , this is taken to mean that OR will 'spend' upto £3400 in getting a service into a property, anything over that the person asking for service pays the excess....it could be that the property had service in the past from an existing pole, but these days that pole wouldn't provide the neccesary height, ( safety rules) in which case the installer cannot do the job on the appointment day, and kicks the job to the planning department to arrange the installation of a new pole.

The pole remains 'OR's , and if someone else can benefit from it being there, then it can be used for them too, even if they have put the new pole in your land/garden because there isn't space anywhere else, but the preference is always to put it in public land, 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution
‘if ive have had to pay for it why should someone else use it for free’

They're not using it for free.

Can I ask, will this Pole be within the boundary of your property?
0 Ratings
Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
hello, yes it will be within our boundary
0 Ratings
Silvertiffy
Beginner
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution
Thank you for responding, I hope then that I do not have anything to pay, as the house has never has a telephone line and that BT/Openreach get a wiggle on its taking forever we were promised a connection for the 8/11/18 still no line or internet
0 Ratings