Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Questions - Drop Lines & Responsibility, Noise, Engineer Call Out Charge

Go to solution

I know you are in the phones section, but you mentioned that it started with a broadband problem.

Its actually Openreach that looks after the lines, and charges BT Retail the wholesale line rental charge, which is the same price as they would charge another service provider.

The other important thing to realise, is that if your ISP has their own equipment installed in the BT exchange, then your BT phone line will be routed through it. So noise faults can be caused by faulty filters or bad connections withing their equipment. See my diagram below.

Its the responsibility of Openreach to test for noise, on all of the wiring path from the BT phone line card, right through to your master socket. Hopefully Openreach will find the problem tomorrow, but you can see that it may be more complex that it may first appear.

llu.jpg

0 Ratings
chadders74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Hi again Keith,

Yep I can see how unbundled exchanges complicate the matter from your diagram, and finding where the responsibility lies becomes interesting.

Luckily I have chosen a reliable ISP - I have no doubt in my mind that should OpenReach come back saying it's down to the unbundled equipment in the exchange, my ISP will readily pickup the tab.

I mention broadband as that is something I use frewquently, so any break in that service is more noticable. Me and the missus aren't heavy phone users, so it's always more been a case of "that sounds like a rubbish phone connection".

One thing that should go in our favour is that the line noise has always been there before ADSL was put on our line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Well that does point to an external line fault.

Best of luck tomorrow Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
chadders74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

OT: how come I'm getting a better response from an ex-employee of BT than I have from BT themselves, says alot about the quality of the "old school" BT Engineer - yes I remember my mate's Dad being a BT Engineeer, always helpful and his wiring bordered on art!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

@chadders74 wrote:

OT: how come I'm getting a better response from an ex-employee of BT than I have from BT themselves, says a lot about the quality of the "old school" BT Engineer - yes I remember my mate's Dad being a BT Engineer, always helpful and his wiring bordered on art!

Its all down to experience, its as simple as that. Working with telephony and telegraphy from 1968-2010, instils basic principles that are not taught these days. The technicians now are told just what they need to know to fix a fault, there are no intensive courses on transmission principles.
That said, there are some very good people out there working on installation and faults, as confirmed by other members of this forum. I don`t thing the situation is much different in other service industries.

0 Ratings
cotswoldconnection
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution
Hi

The round box outside your house is obsolete and should be replaced with a BT66. The cable from the round box to the master socket would appear to be internal 6 wire. Again this should be replaced with dropwire10 or downlead. Openreach are responsible for maintaining your line upto and including the nte. rom what you have stated, any engineer worth his saly would close this job as 82.5r which is not chargeable.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

From what I remember, wrong clear codes were often the reason for charges being raised when they should not have been.

I cannot say any more about T--- F----.

I cannot imagine the situation has improved much since I retired.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
chadders74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Enginner has arrived and fixed the fault, and categorically stated it's an external fault, phew!

Apparently my dropwire is fine, although white and 6-core it's fit for purpose.

Luckily the fog last night remained this morning, so the air was nice and damp (and cold) so I had line noise still whilst he was here.

The distribution point outside has been replaced - full of moss/fluff.

He has worked from 9am to 11:30am on this fault, and worked back from the house to the exchange. He's been along the pavement checking the line.

After a call from the Exchange, I've done a corded phone quiet line test, allowed just over 5 minutes and not a single noise. Perfect!

Unfortunately I know have to get my ISP to investigate why my broadband has now halved in speed, although I have a better downstream line attentuation (a couple of dB lower).

Still, I couldn't "fault" the Engineer, very polite and cracked on with the job. Hope my brew was up to scratch.

My observations still stand with regards to BT:

- sort your #151 call centre out, with regards to language skills.

- provide a better level of knowledge, so a customer can make a more informed decision when it comes to the £130 callout gamble, rather than relying on ex-staff on a forum (perhaps you should setup a 2nd line support to escalate calls where the basic line test doesn't find anything).

0 Ratings
chadders74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

SFI Engineer visit today, previous Engineer solved noisy line by moving be to a different pair. Noise removed, but apparently a bad choice of line for broadband.

SFI Engineer picked the best line and now an even better connection than before. Plus he fitted a filtered faceplate to the NTE5 as well.

Can't fault OpenReach, as for BT based on your #151 support... feel free to let the powers that BE* know I'm jumping ship for my landline come renewal, solely based on my experience of your #151 call centre.

*there's a clue!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Openreach are there to help all ISPs, and generally do a very good job.

This forum consists of people from all walks of life, not just retired BT people. There are also some current BT staff on here, but they are not allowed to identify themselves as such, apart from the forum moderators, who are here to help if problems cannot be resolved here.

There are some clergy, a retired NASA engineer, some computer experts, plus many others who volunteer their time and expertise to help other BT customers.

I am pleased that your noise issue has been sorted.

0 Ratings