Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Re: BT disconnected my line in error and lawyer is being instructed

Go to solution

My Dad (87 years old) received a letter saying that they had had a request for a new line to be installed at his address - but if this was incorrect he should ring BT.  He Rang BT and stated just that and BT said they would get the request blocked.  Soon after my Dad found that nobody could ring him and his number had been changed plus no broadband.  Rang BT on his behalf to complain, BT said his old line and number would be reinstalled in 24 hours.  A day later no change.  Rang BT several times, talked to numerous people, passed from department to department etc - eventually we were told he would have to have a new contract set up.

So dispite the fact that a new line is not required, BT are saying they cannot undo their series of blunders.  THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.  I asked a BT Supervisor (Leanne - no surname as usual) to ring me tonight at 4pm but no call has occured.

He will not get his final new number and broadband (Internet/Email) until 26 September (3 weeks wait).

He will have to tell his contacts a new phone number twice - it will change again on 26th!

He will have to Email everyone a new address and be without Email contact for that period 

Package is possible more expensive as it has been renewed - its not at the rate that he got originally

I saw in another post that someone at BT was able to put this right.  I would like this to happen for my Dad.  We had no choice to go down the new contract route on the phone but if someone acts fast, this could be undone and the old number reinstated.  It would just take a bit of lateral thought rather than just 'following the rules'.  

I await a helpful reply please.  THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO TREAT A LOYAL CUSTOMER WHO HAS BEEN WITH BT SINCE PHONES WERE INVENTED.  NOT TO MENTION THE STRESS CAUSED 

Neil Brighton

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance. They will post an invite on this thread, giving you a link, so you can contact them.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Nsbrighton

Sorry this has happened, send us an email using the contact the mods link in my profile.

You will be able to find this in the section 'About Me'.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
ckma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Hello Neil,

I see that what happened to your father was very similar to what happened to me and I really feel for you and your father. I am also very disappointed to learn, as a BT shareholder, that this sort of occurrences damage the company's goodwill with loyal customers. BT, as a british institution, should uphold certain values despite fierce competitions from other companies. Sadly, its management does not seem to understand that customer service and loyalty (not necessary severe cost-cutting) is the key to attract and maintain businesses at a time where customers do have options from their competitors.

In my experience dealing with the the staff members at BT, I have noticed that the internal structure of the company makes it very difficult for members of one client service team to communicate and work with another team.

As I write, BT is still working to re-activate my line.

0 Ratings
nsbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I quite agree with your views - sorry to here you are in the same boat.  Thanks for the moral support - I hope BT will do something.

0 Ratings
nsbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

I have sent you an Email as requested but I have not seen any Emails of had any calls.  Are you able to help?

Since my original post I have gone through it all again with someone else in 'Billing' at BT, a man named Alan Ray who although seemingly very helpful has not rang me back although he promised he would (even if there was no progress).

Neil Brighton

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
the forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days personally to you by either email or phone
0 Ratings
nsbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Some more developments in this sorry BT tale.

My Dad now has no land line as he has been completely cut off.  He now has to resort to a mobile until 26 September when he will have his phone and internet reinstated.

Being 87 he struggles to use a mobile and he has had to inform his friends/family doctor etc of yet another change.

I rang BT to kick up another fuss, having to talk to yet another person and go through everything again so they understand it.  I said that in the circumstances they should at least speed things up but no - if you want a new phone and broadband installation it takes at least 11 days and 'there is nothing they can do about it'.  I don't believe this but have to accept it.  He said he could get the phone line faster but that would only save a couple of days and they would have to cancel the broardband to do it (and hence that would take much longer).

I still am not certain he will get his original number and Email address back - I think I have to request that once he is reconnected.

My Dad also had another letter telling him that there had been another request for a new line to be installed and to tell them if he did not want that to go ahead!!!  He of course rand BT and ensure it was blocked……again!

I still believe that BT should have undone their mistakes and got it fixed straight away.  This so called 'slamming' needs to be sorted out urgently - there should be no way of giving up a line so easily without proper confirmation from the house owner.

The only thing left seems is be to go down the complaints process and seek compensation.  My Dad has already started drafting!

Neil Brighton

0 Ratings
nsbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

At last!! My Dad's phone line has now been reinstated - a few days early thanks to you guys at the Forum.  His Email address is OK, but I need to try to get the phone number reverted (job for tomorrow).

Thanks for your help (Craig and Stuart).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Very pleased you had a good result the mod team do have a great record in resolving problems
0 Ratings