cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandandlime
Message 1 of 3

Re: BT8500 Query

I also have had issues with my New BT 8500 phone. While it worked perfectly stopping any unwanted calls using the call guardian we could not get it to work on our contacts who should of be able to bypass call screening and come through direct and also caller display did not work. I rang BT went through everything and was told its something that could not happen with this phone. I mentioned the comments raised on here and apprently it was an issue however they said it could be my broadband causing the problem because of the filters. they asked me to check with BT the caller id had been switched on by dialing *234# and that was as far as I got with this call. 

I did as was asked to no affected so I called back and again went through everything (Should they not keep a record of this would save a great deal of my time) anyway after a long discussion it was decieded I needed to buy an additional phone to test if it worked which would give a clearer indication to the cause so we went out and brought another phone and yes it worked fine so i again rang them and again went through everything only to be told to take the BT8500 to another house holder with caller id to test it there. I managed to find someone a few miles away who was very nice and allowed me to test the BT8500 on their phone line. Results it did not work. 

I contacted BT through Chat  again esplained everything that I was and had done and of course went through everything again only I was told that again this could not happen and i needed to read and setup the phone correctly and the adviser said I needed to do this before they could do any more. I again done as I was asked and rang back and again went through everything only this time it was agreed a manager would call me back which he did a replacement phone was sent and receaved the very next day and I was pleased to say worked perfectly in all areas. I now have an additional phone with caller id I do not want but did cost me so I am out of pocket and several hours of my time chasing this issue. So its the phone at fault send it back!! hope this helps I did not even get an opology from BT normal practice I geuss but I did learn something the gentleman who was kind enough to let me use his phone line pointed out he is with Talk Talk and gets caller id free and all he pays each month for unlimited and international calls is £7 plus line rental he showed me his bill which was £7.02. I curently pay £57 a month and while i get caller id free for a year I am now stuck in a contact for 12 months because I had to add caller id because the phone needs it in order to work which I might add is not on the box. I did mention this to BT who said it quite clearly states in the instruction manaual that caller id is needed my resply was I think they have mistaken me for Super Man as i do not have xray eyes I am afraid. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Wherever you purchased the phone from, should give you a full refund.

Caller ID would be needed, as how else could it tell who was calling?

0 Ratings
lorraineq12
Message 3 of 3

i am going through exactly the same issues. got told to put *234# it works for a few calls then stops working. just says incoming calls. bt have phoned me and their number appears then next day back to normal not working. 3rd online chat the guy put me through to technical they said there was a fault on the line gave me a tracking number and it said should be fixed by thursday this week. BT telephoned tonite to ask if it was working and it wasnt. they told me to borrow a phone to see if it is my phone. have tried another phone and still does not work so i will be back in touch with them tomorrow.

0 Ratings