cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Caller display not working, going round in circles

Hi Neil, now home and I'm sorry to say that whatever faulty equipment was replaced at the exchange it hasn't solved the problem. I have again followed all the steps on the BT business help, isolating equipment, swapping out ADSL filters, phoning numbers with *s and #s but nothing changes!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 24

Hi @davidchesson 

Thanks for posting back! Sorry you're still having problems with Caller Display.

@NeilO isn't about today but he is back in again over the weekend.  I'll let him know that you've posted and he'll give you another shout then.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

I suspect that you are going to need a visit from an Openreach Field Technician, who has a portable caller display unit. That would be the best way forward, as that is what used to happen in the past.

It would prove whether its an external cable issue, as that can distort the audio data burst which is sent from the exchange, just prior to the first ringing voltage.

This data burst at 1200 bauds, carries the caller display data.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Thank you Keith. Your comments have gone a little over my head but I get the gist!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

@davidchesson wrote:

Thank you Keith. Your comments have gone a little over my head but I get the gist!

Sorry about that, its what comes from spending my past working life with the firm.

If you have ever used a  dial-up Internet connection, then you would have heard similar sounds just before the connection was made. Many people on this forum will remember those.

You may find this post helpful https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/BT-caller-ID-stopped-working/m-p/1769188#M55902

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 24

@davidchesson I'm really sorry that hasn't worked, I'll get back on to Openreach this afternoon.  What message do you get if you dial *#234#

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

I get a message to the effect that the caller's number will be displayed, but it isn't.  Have received a message from Openreach that they plan to have the fault fixed by 6pm on 26/03/2019. We shall see!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Without someone from Openreach actually visiting your house, with a portable caller display unit to prove the fault, its not likely to be sorted.

If the display does not work at your house, then they can test it at the cabinet. If it works there, then it has to be an issue with the "D" side cable pair from the cabinet to your house.

If it does not work at the cabinet, then it can be checked in the exchange. Its just a process of elimination.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Now we have another issue which may or may not be related. The HH6 drops it's internet connection roughly every 20 minutes. As with the caller display issue I have removed everyting else from the line. Plugged into the master socket it still does it. I have a substituted a secondhand HH5 that I had been using previously and that is now doing just the same. Watching streaming programs is now out of the question of course!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

It could be interference. Do you have anything like a gas boiler which may be firing up ever 20 minutes, if you do then turn it off, and see if the problem stops.

0 Ratings