cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EW1
Message 1 of 5

Re: Engineer Didn't Turn Up after 4 years of excuses

We live in Suffolk and have been experiencing a terrible BT line for 4 years now.Crackles, silence and no connection. Each time we try to book an engineer BT tell us it is an external fault and will be fixed. Once it is 'fixed' the phone line still doesn't work.When we call to complain they say the fault must be internal and twice they have sent engineers who have done no more than say the fault is 'probably external' so have left without doing anything - admittedly without charge. This week my husband and I decided to book an engineer and watch them on site to see if they could track the fault (we suspect mice and a chewed line). We accepted that we may well have to pay for the service. Saturday morning; No engineer. We call BT who route us to India. Twice the operative cuts us off while they go to check into the details. The message comes through that the engineer has been cancelled as they have decided it is - you guessed it - an external fault. No contact. no apology. A wasted Saturday morning.And no chance of speaking to any person actually in this country.

The man in India says to wait 72 hours and then the 'right' engineer may call to fix another appointment. If it were the other way around and we had not been here for the appointment we would have incurred a large charge. Thinking of lobbing a bill into BT for 4 years of landline rental... Has anyone else experience this kind of thing?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi @EW1,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your line. We'll be able to test it for you and see which engineer needs to be sent out to you, if needed. You can reach us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It will take us a few working days to pick it up. 

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
EW1
Message 4 of 5

Daniel S Thanks for your response. I tried to contact BT again today. Needless to say you are routed straight to India and after 5 mins of giving details just to discover that the person who said he would look into finding 'the right kind of engineer' had not done anything about it and nothing is logged except an external fault which will not be fixed until August 17 . Although we asked for an engineer who can re-wire internally his hands are tied. What has happened to BRITISH TELECOM? where it is only possible to speak to an unempowered person in INDIA? Please book an engineer by all means Daniel although I have very little expectation that you will follow through.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I can understand why you'd feel like that way. Please know that we always follow through as evident by the other people we've contacted in the past on this forum. There are no details from you in our queue so please click on my user name and then go to contact the mods.

Thank you

DanielS

0 Ratings