Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Re: Gold / Silver issue

Hello,

I have the same issue as a person before me. I am trying to move to Vodaphone but they can't find my address in openreach database. Furthermore, when they see old 'name' of my flat they say my line is 'silver key' and that I need to get it changed with openreach who does not have any contactable call number. I just got off the phone with BT and they refuse to do that for me.

After reading few of these threads here on the community I can see that in several cases BT helped to change the address status for their customers from Silver to Gold so they could change to Sky or Vodaphone with no issues. I don't understand why I don't seem to be able to get any help... Vodaphone says it is up to BT, BT says it's up to vodaphone - I already used up a week out of my 14 days of cool off period with renewal of contract with BT and I only have one more to get this address color updated so I can use a different provider.

Please help!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

I moved your post as previous thread was already marked as solved this will enable you to get replies

is your address correct on the Royal Mail database?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

What is wrong with your current BT Retail connection as all the other providers use the same pair of wires, so if you have a problem with the line, it will still be there if you move?

It would take quite a while for any changes to the Openreach database to be made.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

I don't really understand what is wrong with it, nothing I would imagine. BT broadband works fine since BT installed it 2 years ago.

But apparently it's status is 'Silver' and the lady from BT on the phone said that BT won't change it from Silver to Gold as BT broadband works fine as it is on mine address. And yes it does, but it makes it impossible for me to change the provider as all of them only connect to the gold addresses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

If it explains it better, BT customer service lady informed me that I have silver line to cabinet and a copper one to my flat. 

Based on this information are you able to help please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

If you want to leave BT for another provider but are having trouble because the proposed new provider tell you that they cannot ‘find’ your address , then you need your current provider to request an ORDI check (Openreach Data Integrity) to update your address in OR’s systems, this should make it into a ‘gold’ addresss , then your address shoukd be able to be located by the potential new provider...this usually can be done by a BT Mod , provided you are a current BT customer, perhaps a moderator will offer to help you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

I am current BT customer. And I have requested BT to change the status of the address to gold since they are my current provider but their phone broadband customer service does not want to help me claiming that this should be done by the provider I want to switch to. The provider I want to switch to claims it's BT who should do this so I am unsure who in BT to contact who can help me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Have you confirmed that your address is correct on the Royal Mail database  BT wont help until you have confirmed your address has been checked

it will probably take longer than 7 days after you have confirmed 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

No, I didn't know Royal Mail has anything to do with this.

What exactly do I need them to confirm please? Just that they have my address in the royal mail data base or is it data base for broadband please (as I know royal mail is currently one of broadband providers)?

And if I have this confirmed how do I approach the issue with BT so they upgrade my address status to gold please? Even if I don't make it within the week I would like to get this sorted out so I don't have the same problem after my next contract with BT expires.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 18

@Refenney, we use the Royal Mail address database when we provide your services. If you check on the Royal mail website for your address and it matches post back here and I'll explain how you can get in touch with the moderation team as we'll have to raise a request with Openreach to get this updated. 

0 Ratings