cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacupp
Message 1 of 13

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

@PaddyB, @NeilO 

Hi, I have similar experience. VM "lost" landline number in the middle of porting process. Would You be able to help, please?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Who originally issued your phone humber?

Since that was issued, have you moved house?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi @jacupp,

Are you moving to BT or are you moving to VM?

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jacupp
Message 4 of 13

@DanielS

Hi Daniel, I am considering moving from VM to BT if it helps me get my old landline number back.

Regards, Jakub

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@jacupp

What is critical, are the questions I asked, as that determines whether its possible.

If BT Retail issued your number, and you are still living at the same address, or at an address which is still served by your local BT Telephone Exchange, then getting your number back, should not be a problem.

If you have moved to an address which is not served by your local exchange, then it would not be possible to get your number back, as each exchange has is own unique number range.

0 Ratings
jacupp
Message 6 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe@DanielS

Hi,

Originally the number was issued by SSE. I have had it for many years. On moving - within same town/exchange (I was told)- I found Virgin available in new area. I asked them if they could move the number to my new address to which they answered "Yes". I informed old provider that I will be moving home, I will have new provider there and the notice was given for another month to keep the old account "live" to let VM do the job. After around 3 weeks they have informed me that they could not get the number from old supplier and its lost.

As I tried all possibilities with no success I found the thread on this forum. 

The landline number was inactive last time I checked. The Openreach told me that it was kept as a "spare line". 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If the number is owned by SSE, then it will return to them if you leave Virgin. Each provider has their own number ranges allocated. I am not sure where SSE get their lines from, they may simply be reselling BT numbers. It would not help in your case.

As the number does not belong to BT Retail, then it would not exist on your local exchange.

I assume you have never been with BT Retail in the past?

At this point, I cannot see it being possible, but @DanielS may be able to investigate further.

0 Ratings
jacupp
Message 8 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe

Hi Keith,

Your answer is very confusing. 

How can a number that Virgin did not transfer to themselves return to SSE on me leaving Virgin? 

@DanielS Can You help, please?

Jakub

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi @jacupp

Thanks for posting back!

Have you been a BT Retail customer with that number?  It's not clear from the thread.  I know you mentioned you intended to move to Virgin Media.  Was your old provider SSE?  If you've never had an account with BT Retail there isn't much we can do for you on here I'm afraid Smiley Sad

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@jacupp wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe

Hi Keith,

Your answer is very confusing. 

How can a number that Virgin did not transfer to themselves return to SSE on me leaving Virgin? 

Sorry, what I meant was that when you moved to Virgin, your number would have returned to SSE, which is why you lost it.

As @RobbieMac has said, if you never had a BT Retail number, there is nothing that can be done. BT Retail do not allocate other Service Provider`s numbers.

If you moved to BT Retail, then you would be given a new number, which you could keep forever, provided you did not move out of the local exchange catchment area.

0 Ratings