cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jhoq14
Message 1 of 14

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

Go to solution

Hi Neil, I lost my landline number during broadband switch. I told virgin that I want to keep my old landline number , which was ***********. My new number with virgin is ***********. Please can you help. My mum uses the landline all the time. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Jhoq14 thanks for posting and welcome to the community, I'm really sorry this is not something that BT consumer can help you with as we can only assist BT customers. You'll need to raise this with your supplier who may need to work with the Openreach number portability team to get your number changed back.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

@Jhoq14 

Did you move from BT Retail to Virgin Media and did BT Retail originally issue your phone number?

If they did, have you moved address since BT Retail gave you your number?

Please do not post any numbers on this public forum.

As @NeilO  has said, there is not much BT can do, but if you answer the questions I raised, then I can try and explain what may have happened.

0 Ratings
Jhoq14
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

From sky I moved to virgin. Before that i was with bt but that was a different address. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@Jhoq14 wrote:

From sky I moved to virgin. Before that i was with bt but that was a different address. 

Then there is nothing that can be done, as your number is owned by BT Retail, and would have been returned to them once you migrated from Sky to Virgin Media.

Your number will only now exist on the  BT Telephone exchange that you were originally connected to.

If the address you live now, is still parented off the same exchange, then the only way you could probably get the number back, would be to move your service to BT Retail.

Its important to note, that it has to be the exact physical exchange, not just the exchange area. So if you have moved more than a couple of miles, then its possible you are now on a different exchange anyway.

0 Ratings
Jhoq14
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I have been at my current address over a year. My number was with sky and I changed to virgin.  I asked to port the number but virgin messed it up. When I rang Bt, they said I have to pay £30 activation fee. I won't get the fee back if I cancel within 14 days. Is there a possibility that I may get my number back through Bt?. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

So you are now at a different address from when you were with BT and had your phone number?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Please read my last post.

If the address you are living now, is connected to the same BT exchange as your last address, then there is a possibility of getting your number back by returning to BT Retail for your phone service.

If its a different BT exchange then its not going to be possible as each exchange has its own number range.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Just a bit more of an explanation.

BT originally issued your number, which you then ported to Sky, but the number will always be owned by BT.

Sky can emulate most numbers on their network, as they have their own equipment in the exchange.

You then tried to port the number again from Sky to Virgin.

Because Sky did not own the number, it was not possible for them to release it to Virgin, so it simply returns back to BT Retail, as they own the number.

It will remain physically mapped to the exchange that it was originally issued from, and will quarantined, to be re-issued in the distant future.

If you are still connected to that same exchange, then what would happen if you moved to BT Retail, is that you would initially be given a new number. Then a manual renumber request can be raised, to get your original number back.

This only works if you are still on the same exchange.

0 Ratings
Jhoq14
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

The number and exchange is different to my previous address. The number I tried to port from sky to virgin was issued by sky at my current address. Which I tried to port to virgin. 

0 Ratings