cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmmarren
Message 1 of 15

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

Go to solution
The same thing has happened to me and I’m at my wits end trying to sort it out! Please can NeilO help me out???
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum @nmmarren 

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Who originally issued your phone number?

0 Ratings
nmmarren
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
So originally it was a BT phone number. I then took out phone & broadband with TalkTalk. I tried to move providers from TalkTalk to now tv but TalkTalk disconnected the line instead of transferring it. My grandmother has had that phone number for over 40 years and she’s really upset about it. I’m hoping I can get help with this. Thank you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

from your post you are not a BT Retail customer so the forum or mods cannot help

you need to go to new provider and get help from them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nmmarren
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
Yes I understand but I am willing to become a bit customer so you can retrieve the phone number.
It was successfully done before on a thread I have read where @Neil0 retrieved the phone number. Please help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@nmmarren wrote:
Yes I understand but I am willing to become a bit customer so you can retrieve the phone number.
It was successfully done before on a thread I have read where @Neil0 retrieved the phone number. Please help.

Are you living at the same address as you were when BT Retail issued you that phone number?

0 Ratings
nmmarren
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Yes, the address is the same
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@nmmarren wrote:
Yes, the address is the same

Then your original BT Retail number will still exist on your local telephone exchange, and will now be dormant, as it would have returned back to BT Retail when you attempted to port it out again.

When you moved from BT Retail to TalkTalk, your number was ported out to them, however it cannot be ported again from TalkTalk to NowTV, as TalkTalk do not own the number, as it belongs to BT Retail, which is why you lost it.

There is no technical reason why you cannot have your original number back if you move your services back to BT Retail, but that would have to be done first before a moderator could help.

You would initially have to accept a temporary number, but it should be possible to renumber it back to your original number.

0 Ratings
nmmarren
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
Ok that would be great. Shall I contact BT and place a order or is this something you or somebody else can help me with. Thank you very much for your help, I finally feel that I am getting somewhere.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

You would have to place an order with BT Retail. If you do it online, there are loads of special offers at the moment.

BT Retail would inform your current provider, that you have requested to move to BT Retail. Please bear in mind that if you are outside of your cancellation period with NowTV, you could face a large cancellation charge

How long ago did you move to NowTV?

0 Ratings