cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GMann80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

Go to solution

Good evening @PaddyB and @NeilO 

Apologies for disturbing you but I saw on this forum that you had managed to help someone previously with a similar issue and was hoping you could help or point me in the correct direction for assistance.

My Dad had a BT telephone number for in excess of 30 years and last year after getting Virgin installed in our street I offered to pay for it if we tried it. His number was ported over with no issues and he kept his original number. I have now moved out and at the end of the contract, my Dad signed up to Virgin as a new customer for a further year due to ease and although they said he could still keep the same number - they stated it might take 10 days for the transfer to occur. 

In good faith he waited for this to happen and after about 2.5weeks he rang up to see what was happening and after several further calls over the last 3 weeks they have finally said his number is lost with no offer of further help.

Is this a BT number and if so is there anyway he can get his number back by switching back to BT or paying for the number as I think this is absolutely terrible and unacceptable by Virgin. He is 83 years of age and after having had his number for over 30 years, it is going to be very difficult for him to contact all his friends and relatives to notify them as many dont use mobiles or have emails.

Any help would be appreciated to try and resolve this matter.

Regards

Gregory

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Go to solution

Provided he is living at exactly the same address that he was when BT first issued his number, then it's normally possible to get the number back if he moves his phone service to BT Retail.

A new number would be issued to start with, but once that it is working, then a manual renumber request can be made.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
GMann80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe 

I will speak to the moderator and hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

Regards

Gregory

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @GMann80  welcome to the forum and thanks for taking the time to post. As @Keith_Beddoe has pointed out we may be able to get the number back but we can't guarantee it. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you with this further.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @GMann80  I can see you have sent in the details and one of the team will pick this up in the next 2 days. I just wanted to check if you have sorted out with Virgin that your Father will be allowed to exit his contract as there could be cancellation charges. 

If you have that resolved then place an order for BT service at https://www.bt.com/landline/deals/  if he only requires a landline or https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals/ if he needs a landline and broadband. As @Keith_Beddoe  says you will be connected on a new number and once the connection is up and running we can look at getting the number back for your Father. 

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GMann80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Thank you for coming back to me John.

I understand Virgin will be writing to him regarding complaints procedure so will deal with that shortly.

I just want to try and get his number back as soon as possible because as you can understand he is quite upset/angry to have lost his phone number after 30+ years.

Regards

Gregory

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @GMann80  that's ok I just wanted to ensure you were sorting this out with Virgin. Go ahead and place your order for the services required and then we can help get the number changed over once it's up and running.

Cheers
John 

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GMann80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Good afternoon John

Before I place an order for services is there anyway I can speak to someone for confirmation that we can get the number back.

After my father's experience you can understand our concern with the process.

Regards

Gregory 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @GMann80  sorry but as @Keith_Beddoe  explained it should normally be possible to get the number back in this situation. However, we cannot 100% guarantee it until the phone line is up and running. I have reserved the number so that once the line is active we can place a renumber order and only at that stage can we confirm the number will be provided on the line. 

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
GMann80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

John I appreciate that but let's say doom day happens and you cannot secure our number then what would happen as he would then need a decision what to do moving forward bearing in mind there will be an ongoing dispute with Virgin to resolve.

Is there a cooling off period so that he could cancel if you couldn't secure the number and Virgin refused to accept responsibility.

Regards

Gregory

0 Ratings