cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willatpenru
Message 1 of 4

Re: Master Socket and Lightning - who pays?

...I didn't know I was responsible for BT carrying out repairs to it's own equipment. A lightning storm blew over our area. Engineer came and replaced a component inside the master socket. A surge arrester I presume. Said he had spent all day repairing patch panels damaged by the storm. Then I got a bill for £100. Ive raised a complaint.
Ive phoned 4 times and still not had a resolution. The engineer notes say that my equipment was faulty and that my equipment had caused a power surge. Both claims are false. Also, apparently a Mr Morgan was informed of the charges. That's nice, but there's no one with that name at our address. I believe a mistake had been made. Can anyone help?
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

This page has some guidance about charges.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If it was one of the new SSFP faceplates, then that is located after the test socket, so the customer would be liable for its replacement cost.

It looks like this

newnte.jpg

There are electronic components in this unit, which are easily damaged by surges.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Are you sure the Openreach Engineer didn't just replace the whole of the NTE5a, would be unusual for one to just replace a surge protector in one because for that he'd have to have a very steady hand and use a soldering iron.....
0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Oh yeah, and to answer your question if the surge came down the phone line your not liable for a charge but if say lighting hit your house and it sent a surge down to the phone line you are liable for the charge......
0 Ratings