Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stupot54
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Re: Nuisance Calls

With reference to call blocking.

on average we receive one call everyday telling me my broadband is about to be turned off.

i agree I can block these calls but frankly that’s a waste of time as each call the number is different.

020866145544,01193533561,01333389901,01142465670. So blocking the calls has little effect.

im beginning to wish they did switch off the broadband and the landline.

nuisance calls no protection. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

I now no longer answer the telephone unless I know who is calling.  If it is someone I want to talk to then they can leave a message and I call them back. (I have all my friends and family in my contacts so their names come up on the phone.)

Until OFCOM stop giving out new numbers to scammers to use there is no way you can prevent these calls. It is a curse.

0 Ratings
Stupot54
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the suggestion there is something vaguely wrong with having to monitor calls before answering. 09:23 this morning another call about broadband service being terminated. Another completely new number 01231789651 the robotic caller was barely understandable Asian / English I think. Why is it I very rarely get these calls on my mobile??

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

The robotic caller probably was a robot, they do not even employ humans anymore. I get them on my mobile as well so it is only a matter of time before they catch up with you. It is a pain to screen every call but if you answer it tells their systems that it is a live number and they just keep on calling. If the number is never answered they might just give up eventually.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

I now no longer answer the telephone unless I know who is calling.  If it is someone I want to talk to then they can leave a message and I call them back. (I have all my friends and family in my contacts so their names come up on the phone.)

Until OFCOM stop giving out new numbers to scammers to use there is no way you can prevent these calls. It is a curse.

?

OFCOM don't give out numbers to the scammers, the scammers use VoIP systems and spoof the called from number.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

?

OFCOM don't give out numbers to the scammers, the scammers use VoIP systems and spoof the called from number.

I stand corrected, but is there no way of stopping them? I am cursed with these calls.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

?

I stand corrected, but is there no way of stopping them? I am cursed with these calls.

Hi @Alan_in_Hemel   Since I bought a Call Protect phone I have not received a single unwanted call in three years. You can buy them to suit most budgets. 

https://shop.bt.com/category/electronics,telephony,telephones/11206-50910-58450000

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

If the scammers are changing the number they call from daily and those numbers are spoofed UK landline numbers, how can these phone detect if it is a scam call?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Alan_in_Hemel wrote:

If the scammers are changing the number they call from daily and those numbers are spoofed UK landline numbers, how can these phone detect if it is a scam call?  

Phones like the BT4600 forces all callers whose numbers  are not stored in the internal phone directory, to announce themselves first.

From the manual.

They will hear, “Callers to this number are being screened by a
BT Call Blocking phone please say your name after the tone and then press # and
wait to be connected”. Those on your Blocked list will hear, “Callers to this number
are being screened by a BT Call Blocking phone, the person you are calling isn’t
accepting your call. Please hang up”).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@Alan_in_Hemelwrote:

Hi @Alan_in_Hemel   You need to reverse your thinking. Instead of blocking numbers you move over to allow numbers, friends, family and every number you know get straight through to you. I have always found that hospital appointments etc. are always happy to announce themselves. All cold callers and robots simply don’t so you are never disturbed.

0 Ratings