cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ingybabe01
Message 1 of 15

Re: SCAM Beware - Indian people calling claiming to be from BT

Absolutely exhasperated by BT just lately. 

2 days before Christmas i have received not 1 but 2 calls from someone in India claiming to be from BT and that they have identified an error with my BT router which is damaging my computer on a daily basis.   Now to say i am not technically minded is an understatement but I was suspicious and so I aksed them to confirm they were from BT and give me my account number.  They couldn't so that made me more suspicious and they kept asking me to press the Windows Control and R key on my computer key board.  When I said I wasn't going to press anything until they could confirm they were from BT. At this point they hung up.!   so beware people they trying to catch you off your guard at Christmas time.

What is really annoying (anyone at BT who is reviewing this forum please take note), is that I tried to contact BT in the UK to let them know, yet you apparently can no only ever speak to someone in India.  Turns out that BT have known about this for sometime, YET and heres the  important bit, YOU failed to let your existing customers know.  A text, an email, a letter or a phone call all viable means of cummunications with your customers which would save them any distress, inconvenience and potentially being scammed by these people.

Come on BT get your act together.  I expect more from a multi national global firm.

Angry customer.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Do you mean advice like this.

https://www.btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/Scams/index.htm

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/~/security-warning---fraud-activities

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/money-tips/beware-the-new-breed-of-computer-takeover-scams-113640...

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/money-tips/common-online-and-email-scams-to-beware-of-11363992889...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36084989

Unfortunately it is a fact of the Internet age that somebody wants to try and scam you.

Just keep in mind that BT will never make an unsolicited call you and advise you that you have any problems with your router or anything with your computer, nor will Microsoft or any reputable company. If you get any of these calls just hang up.

0 Ratings
Cogydd
Message 3 of 15

I used to be with talk talk before joining BY and I used to get the same calls from people saying they were from talk talk.
So it's not just B T customers who suffer.
I used to tell them that I had a Mac pc and they stopped bothering me .
Since joining BT I have invested in their callblocking phones and it's brilliant . Not had a nuisance call since .
It cost me 79 pounds but worth the money
0 Ratings
Cogydd
Message 4 of 15

Meant BT not BY
0 Ratings
ppc24133
Message 5 of 15

BASICALLY THE SAME HAPPENED TO ME TODAY. AN INDIAN WOMAN TOLD ME I HAD A VIRUS AND WANTED TO HELP ME WITH THE SOLVING OF THE PROBLEM. when ASKED WHERE SHE WAS CALLING FROM SHE SAID BT. I ASKED AGAIN WHERE SHE WAS CALLING FROM AND WHAT OFFICE AND SHE IMMEDIATELY HUNG UP.
sO bt its still happening and the old saying of its the new technical age just doesn't wash. What is being done to eradicate these calls
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

These calls, when they say they are from BT have absolutely nothing to do with BT. They only say BT because you are a telephone user in the UK and it is a good chance that you are a BT customer and as such will fall for the scam.

Ask yourself, if it is BT, who supply your phone line and possibly your broadband signal if you have broadband, do you think BT would care if you had a virus on your computer. Your computer is absolutely of no concern to BT or Microsoft or anybody else who may call you and report you have a problem or virus on it. 

In answer to what are BT doing to stop these calls, while not specifically for these calls claiming to be from BT but all nuisance calls they have done this:-

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/phone/call-protect/

0 Ratings
Dval
Message 7 of 15

This scam is still going on!!

(1) Today I received a call on my landline. An automated system allegedly from BT told me that my internet would be cut off. I could speak to an advisor or allow it to be cut off. I chose to speak to an advisor.

(2) A male with a thick Indian accent then told me that our internet was hacked and BT are working on the remedy. He started asking me about how many electronic devices I have at home, whether they are windows or Mac. I asked him to confirm my account name for security. He hesitated and then they said the wrong name "Mrs Kendricks". I said it's incorrect, so I can't provide them with details. He said the hackers may have changed the name.

(3) I was then passed on to a second 'agent' with a more mild accent. He asked me to bring my laptop. I said that if he tells me where on the BT site I can find his department's number, I will call that number right back. That is when he hung up.

Seems like a very elaborate system, using technology, a plausible story and more than one agent, I worry that people have been or will be caught out by it, unless BT acts soon!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

you are on 2 year old thread

there are many posts like your here with many many explanations  https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/bd-p/Faults

just wish Mods would lock these old posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

@Dvalwrote:

This scam is still going on!!

(1) Today I received a call on my landline. An automated system allegedly from BT told me that my internet would be cut off. I could speak to an advisor or allow it to be cut off. I chose to speak to an advisor.

This scam will continue until people stop replying to them, stop giving them information, and unfortunately not be taken in by them to give them account details and money etc.

The thing to do is NOT respond at all, especially if the call is automated.

It's not just a BT problem, it's worldwide.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

@imjollywrote:

just wish Mods would lock these old posts

I agree. Maybe they could run a robot that locks threads that have not been active for say 6 months.

0 Ratings