Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Re: Sky lost landline

Go to solution

Hi  there

We are experiencing a similar problem with a landline and broadband switch from EE to SKY.  Sky placed the order to take over my parents land line from EE but somehow omitted to request the transfer of the number also, so my elderly parents have now lost their landline number they have had for 44years.  As they rely on this number for contact with hospital, doctors, care providers etc etc this is extremely important to them and the situation is causing a huge amount of stress.

I have spoken with both EE and BT and they have both said that SKY should be able to place a retrieve lost number request with BT Openreach to get the number back, but SKY are saying they don't have the facility to do this.  Could anyone help or advise please, because I'm getting nowhere fast with SKY and just hitting a brick wall!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Go to solution

@DStew01 

Unless they have ever been a BT Retail customer at their current address, then nothing can be done, as their number would have returned back to the provider who originally issued the number. My guess if they had it for 44 years, then its likely to be a BT Retail phone number.

BT does not control any numbers, apart from those that they originally issued. Openreach also have nothing to do with number allocation.

As they are not a current BT Retail customer, this forum cannot help.

If they were originally with BT Retail, then they would normally be able to get their number back, by becoming a BT Retail customer again.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi 

Many thanks for your reply. Sky did advise that I would have to take out line rental and broadband with BT in order to get the number back, and that they would waive any cancellation charges for me to do so, but when I phoned BT to enquire about this I was told that wouldn’t work and the only way was for SKY to request the number from BT or BT open reach, can’t quite remember which they said.

So I just seem to be going round in circles and don’t know who is giving me the right or wrong info!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@DStew01 

You are getting misleading information from BT and Sky.

Can you confirm that your parents were originally with BT with the number they have had for 44 years?

If so, are they still living at the same address?

If that is the case, then moving their services to BT Retail would normally allow then to ask for their number back, as it will exist on the local BT Exchange.

Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hi

Yes, my parents have lived in the same address and had the same number for the past 44yrs, so they will have been with BT for a number of years to start with. 

If I call BT again, is there a particular dept I should ask for? Previously I contacted the technical dept.

many thanks

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@DStew01wrote:

If I call BT again, is there a particular dept I should ask for? Previously I contacted the technical dept.

You'll need to have a working service with BT, so place the order as normal for line and broadband, once the switch to BT happens they will have a different number.
The day after the services go live, ring BT and request a renumber, provide the old number, BT will then request the number be assigned to the new account, it's not guaranteed and there is a one-off £26 charge for the renumber.

If all goes well, they'll have the number back within a week normally, give or take a day or two either side.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

If after following @-Richie-  advice and you still have problems getting number then post back here and we can see if the forum mods can help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Hi both

Thanks very much for your help and advice on this. I finally feel like I’m speaking with someone who actually knows what they are doing!  I will contact BT tomorrow to get the ball rolling with a BT contract and will let you know if I  have any issues.

Thank you so much for your help, it’s very much appreciated!

Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Hi,

Just to update on this situation.  I contacted BT retail about switching my parents landline and broadband to BT in an attempt to retrieve the lost number.  The first person I spoke to was very helpful, he asked what the lost number was and was able to find it on the system and said it would be no problem to retrieve it, but just to make sure he wasn't giving me any incorrect information, could I hold the line while he spoke to a colleague,  which I did and then was cut off!

I called back but hadn't got the name of the person I was speaking to unfortunately, so I went through the whole story with someone else, who said it would be nigh on impossible to retrieve the lost number, he couldn't find the number on the system and apologised for the incorrect information his previous colleague had given him!

So, I am still non the wiser and think my next step may be to put in a complaint with Offcom, what are your thoughts?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

When you say complain to Ofcom, complain about who ?
If the number were originally ‘BT’ , and 44 years ago there was only was ‘BT’, the mistakes made by the other company’s will result eventually with the number back with BT, so given that info , making BT your provider should almost certainly mean that the number can be reallocated to a ‘new’ BT customer , you obviously, need to manipulate the system to make sure that is you.
The first step is to become a BT customer , without that commitment, why would BT do anything for you ?, once the BT service is in and working , then a ‘renumber’ order is raised to change the temporary number allocated when the line is installed into the number you want.
There are many instances of exactly this process on this forum....usually , once you are a BT customer you ask for the Mods assistance and they do the rest.

0 Ratings