Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Re: Sky lost landline

Go to solution

Hi there

Sky have lost my parents number of over 30 years. We were originally with BT then moved to the post office and on the 16/12/19 to sky. They didn’t request to  move the number despite being asked to do so. I’ve spoken to the post office and they have have confirmed a glitch and they haven’t closed off the account.

Sky are refusing to get in touch with them and try and resolve moving the number saying the line is active and also saying  there is nothing they can do. Is this true? Having spoken to both BT (no historical info on the system so they can’t do anything) and the post office are both telling me sky should be requesting the number to renumber the line.  

What options do I have left? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Go to solution

@SamBWillans 

If the number belongs to BT, then the post office would not be able to port it to Sky, as the number belonged to BT and not the post office, and would have returned back to BT when the post office line was moved to Sky.

Provided your parents live at the same address as they did when BT first issued their number, then they should be able to get it back, if they move their service back to BT. That is the only way it can be done.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

How long if the post office close off the line does it take to return to BT? I rang BT today and because I don’t have any account information they couldn’t help me? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@SamBWillans wrote:

How long if the post office close off the line does it take to return to BT? I rang BT today and because I don’t have any account information they couldn’t help me? 

BT will not be able to help until they actually have a working phone line from BT.  This could take a couple of weeks.

BT will issue them with a new number to start with, and then they can request a renumber back to the number they had originally. There would be a small charge for the renumber, and they will have to prove that the number originally belonged to them.

If there is any problem with the renumber, then help is available via this forum.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Basically sky have offered me £100 to close the complaint towards the cost of getting the number back, from what I can see rejoining BT plus the potential renumber cost will cost me way above this!

im not tied into sky’s landline and broadband as they have waived this because of the error. I have a complaint logged with ofcom too think I’m just going to have to challenge them until they cover all the costs so much not out of pocket. I will call BT again once the post office have confirmed the line has been cancelled completely 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Its best to simply go online and order a phone line (and broadband) from BT, that will start things off. The prices include line rental.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals

Once its all working, then the renumber issue can be dealt with.

Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @SamBWillans,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post. 

I'm sorry to hear that your parents have lost their phone number, I understand how frustrating this can be.

The phone number will come back to BT 14 days after the service has been ceased with the losing service provider, in this case, The Post Office.

The only way to get the number back is to place a new order for service with BT, once this service is up and working we will be able to try and re-number the line to your parent's number. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to get the number back but from the information you have provided, I cannot see why we wouldn't be able to in this case.

We currently have a number of deals online as @Keith_Beddoe has mentioned. At the moment we are offering Superfast Fibre Essential for £24.99 per month with an upfront fee of £19.99. The standard cost of a re-number is £25. I hope this helps you decide if it's worth your while taking up SKY's offer of compensation. 

Sadly our help desk won't be able to provide you with any more information than they already have even after The Post Office confirms that the line has been ceased.

Any questions please let me know.

Matt

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi All, 

Now successfully up and running with BT with the temporary number. Please can someone contact a Mod for me to kick off the renumbering? 

Thanks! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

i am sure a mod will pick this up but they are really busy just now so just patience

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Greenfield112 thanks for posting back and we will be happy to check if we can get the number back for you. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team.

Cheers
John