cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 11 of 22

Re: Sky lost landline

Go to solution

Sorry, I should have made it clear, I meant complain about Sky with them losing the number in the first place. 

My hesitation in going back to BT is firstly the price, which is much higher than the price with Sky and secondly it appears there is no guarantee we will get the number back. In fact, the second person I spoke to at BT said he was 99% certain we wouldn’t! So we could end up back with BT, paying a much higher price and still not get our number back.

I don’t understand why I get conflicting information from every person I speak to. If such a process is possible why am I getting different info from everyone I speak to, which doesn’t reassure me at all. 

The second BT person I spoke to also said this was Sky’s error and they should put it right. They should be requesting the lost number from BT and not me.

I am at the stage now where I really don’t know what to do for the best.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

if you read similar posts on the forum and success others have had in same circumstances you see that they took out a package with BT then applied for the old number and in many cases the forum mods who are BT employees were able to help get the old number back    however nothing will happen until you are a BT customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

Many thanks

can I just double check that this is definitely not  something that Sky can do direct with BT, ie it is not possible for them to request retrieval of a lost number from BT? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

Again if you read similar posts if you port number from BT  to another ISP and then subsequently switch to another ISP the number reverts back to the ISP that 'owns' the number and in this case that is BT.  SKY should have been aware that this was going to happen

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Hi 

Sky were obviously aware this would happen but was an error on their part when they submitted the order to transfer from EE to Sky they omitted to ‘tick a box’ requesting to keep the same number. They have admitted it was their mistake. It would just make my life a whole lot easier if they were able to request the number back from BT rather than me having to chase round in circles. 

Something that can happen so easily by not ‘ticking a box’ is causing a huge amount of stress and wasted time and effort, which is why putting a complaint into Ofcom for them to investigate is looking more and more appealing.

It would make life a whole lot easier for the customer if the different providers would work together in the best interests of the consumer.

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

I can't see what OFCOM will/can do as the number has reverted back to the owners -BT   It was OFCOM who allocated the number epsequence to BT

The only way you can get the number back is to become a BT customer.    The sooner that happens the sooner you are more likely to get the number

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution
Sky were useless. I complained and complained and they let me out the contract. I had to set up a BT line and get my preferred number back but it did take weeks to sort.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

TBH, if your preference is Sky , and you don’t want to use BT because of the conflicting advice you have been given , then it’s Sky you need to speak to, there isn’t anything ‘BT’ can do for you , it’s really a choice for you to make , either you accept what Sky have offered and move on, or if the phone number is of sufficient importance, then the difference in price would have to borne, ( your reluctance to use BT shouldn’t really be based on the slim chance the number cannot be given back to you by BT , there is no reason to think it cannot , but no absolute guarantee will be given )
If the number can be retrieved by Sky ( even though the messed up in the first place and anecdotal evidence suggests it not possible ) by some sort of back channel into BT , then it’s Sky not BT you need to be  asking.

**Edited**

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Hi there

Unfortunately, as mentioned previously, my parents are elderly and in ill health, hence the importance of their landline, and only have their pensions as income.

**Edited** When I telephoned BT Retail, the absolute cheapest they could offer me was £45/month (that was the one who cut me off) and even then the second person at BT I spoke to, said they didn’t know where the previous person had got that price from as they couldn’t offer it at that price! 

The confusion all round and lack of consistent advice from  those within the telecoms industry is quite unbelievable and has left me completely bewildered. Even now, the BT price you have quoted below is nothing like I was offered over the phone!

Yes, their landline number of 44yrs is extremely important to them, but they cannot afford to pay at least £20 more per month to retrieve it via BT!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution
You can use the online portal to get prices ( that’s what I did ) and order via that.
0 Ratings