cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Re-joining BT - keeping same landline phone number?

Hi there,

I’m posting on behalf of my father, who lives in Hertfordshire.

Due to some BB issues a few years ago, he moved from BT across to Zen for his BB and landline.

He’s considering moving back to BT, but he’s heard that if he does he’ll have to have a new phone number, which he wants to avoid after 51 years with the same number.

Does anyone know if it possible to rejoin BT (landline & BB) and keep the same original landline number please?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Re-joining BT - keeping same landline phone number?

@LRS 

Provided he still living at the same address, or at an address that is served by the same BT Exchange building, then there should normally be no problem getting his original number back.

BT Retail  would issue a new number to start with but once it is working, then he can request a renumber back to his original number. There is a small charge for this.

Message 3 of 15

did your father post his number to Zen when he moved a few years ago?  Is he still at same address where he received the number from BT all these years ago?  If so can't see why he cannot keep number when he moves to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 15

@LRSwrote:

Does anyone know if it possible to rejoin BT (landline & BB) and keep the same original landline number please?!

It is possible but there is no guarantee it will work and, if it doesn't work, the only response he will get from Zen and BT will be "sorry, it's the other party's fault and there's nothing we can do".

Message 5 of 15

@Pedigree500 

If the number belongs to BT Retail, then its physically connected to the exchange, so there is no problem, once its released by Zen.

Message 6 of 15

Based on personal experience,  I would agree.    Theoretically it should work;   theoretically it should be simple.    In practise ... all I would say is,  look how many of the posts on this forum refer to similar or identical situations.    You don't even necessarily have to read them all:  just count how many there are that relate to number-porting,  and then,  as our American friends say,  you do the math.

Message 7 of 15

@Pedigree500 

I agree with @Keith_Beddoe 

as number actually belongs and will be returned to BT Retail when you leave ZEN you should have no problem getting number back again    most of the other posts with porting problems are due trying to transfer from the totally different Virgin system or having ported the number more than once and not necessarily an existing BT Retail number

don't cancel with ZEN as that will cause porting problems you just need to place order with BT Retail and advise you want to keep your number and BT Retail should do all the rest

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 15

Hi Keith,
Thanks very much for your reply! That sounds promising that he can request a renumber back to his original number! Great news!
Thanks again! LRS
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi imjolly!
Thanks very much for your reply! Yes he did take his original number across to Zen, and he hasn't moved from the address, so hopefully as you say, he will be able to keep his number if he moves back to BT.
Thanks again for your help. LRS
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi Pedigree500!
Thanks for your reply - if he moves back hopefully it will work - but as you say these things can sometimes fall between the two service providers. I guess the technical solution will be to keep fingers crossed!
Thanks again for your reply. LRS
0 Ratings