Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ARWalker
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

Really Old Master Socket/Box

Go to solution

Hello folks.

My father has been having problems with his broadband of late.  Where the socket is upstairs to which the phone and Smart Hub is fitted is connected to your standard white box type, with a cable to the basement  where the phone line enters the house.  Now, this cable is connected to some sort of junction box (pictured below), which I believe was fitted in the late 70's (still has G.P.O. stamped on it!)

Junction 2.JPG

Junction.JPG

My question is can we get a new NTE5 compliant box fitted by BT, and how much will they charge for the privilege?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
ARWalker
Beginner
Message 2 of 29

Old Connection Box Causing Problem?

Go to solution

Hello folks.

My father has been having problems with his broadband of late. Slow speeds, dropping out etc.  Where the socket is upstairs to which the phone and Smart Hub is fitted is connected to your standard white box type, with a cable to the basement  where the phone line enters the house.  Now, this cable is connected to some sort of junction box (pictured below), which I believe was fitted in the late 70's (still has G.P.O. stamped on it!)

Junction 2.JPG

Junction.JPG

My question is can we get a new NTE5 compliant box fitted by BT, and how much will they charge for the privilege?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Re: Old Connection Box Causing Problem?

Go to solution

thats just a junction box where drop wire and internal wiring are conencted  it does looks like there is an extension running from the junction box which is not good for your broadband.  Openreach will charge at Least £129.99 so I would look at local papers and get telcom engineer to do the work cheaper

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Re: Really Old Master Socket/Box

Go to solution

There is absolutely no reason to change that junction box. It is just the interface between the internal and external cables. The master socket will/should be where the phone and hub are connected. Any broadbvand problems you are having will not be remedied by changing the junction box.

If you can elaborate as to what the problems are we might be able to help further.

ARWalker
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for the speedy response.

My Dad’s broadband speed is around 12mbps when he was given a minimum speed of 32mbps.

He is understandably concerned about accepting the offer of an engineer visit with the £130 charge hanging over his head on the run in to Christmas. Bit of a rock and a hard place scenario.

I did a BT Wholesale test and it’s varying in speed between 12 & 14mbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Has it always been slow since day1 or has it just recently become slow? Can you post the stats from the Hub please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

There appears to be 2 internal cables connected to the external cable and as @imjolly says, that is never going to be good for broadband. Where do both the cables go to? Is it possible to tease the wires out a bit (without disconnecting them) and take a further picture so we can get a clear idea of what wires connect together.

0 Ratings
ARWalker
Beginner
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

The grey coloured one to the left goes to the socket upstairs where the hub and phone are connected.  The house is built into a hill, with the living accommodation upstairs atop the basement and garage.

I believe the white one goes to an extension in one of the other rooms.  I think we could discard them in the long run as they are not really used anymore by the family, as it is just my parents in the house.

How do I go about getting the diagnostic done?

Once again, thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

That is star wired and probably the cause of your problems. You need to get that fixed not the junction box replaced. As I said get telecom engineer from local pages

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

If the white cable is no longer required, I would just disconnect it without disturbing any of the other connections.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Broadband-Top-Tips-to-get-help-on-the-for... explains how to obtain hub stats.

0 Ratings