cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Receiving calls saying from BT Openreach

Go to solution

Hi I keep receiving phone calls from “BT Openreach” saying I am having drops in my broadband and how many devices do we use.

can you verify this is genuine and not a scam as I keep telling them to call  back later.

please advise 

Regards Chris

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Receiving calls saying from BT Openreach

Go to solution

scam  openreach do not deal with the public

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Scams-Information-about-scams-currently-c...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

These Scammers seem to be evolving.    I had a call this morning with the usual start - a caller with a very thick accent, Asian in origin but with a very Anglo Saxon name.  Usually the call stops when I ask them to spell it.   However this one dug in and explained that BT Openreach engineers  working on the server had observed very large uploads of data to my IP address and this looked suspicious and needed prompt attention etc., etc.   I told him his name was not what he stated, that he wasn't from from BT or  "BT Openreach" and this was obviously a scam.   Instead of hanging up, he wanted to argue.  The more he argued the more the inconsistencies piled up.  "We are here to help you" was the best line.    I reminded him what Dante wrote about the fate of liars, cheats and fraudsters but he still wanted to go on arguing.    Most unusual, if getting nowhere what they normally do is give an earful of abuse and hang up.     What is in it for them and why argue when he can move on to another victim?    In the end I pressed the red button.

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@RGH1 to most of these scam callers, it's actually just a job. They get a salary and bonuses as anyone else would. They go through extensive training and are even told that they're not breaking the law because they're not in the UK. A lot of them don't like doing it because they know that what they're doing is wrong and normally move on when they find a job for a legitimate company. I was told this by a British chap who runs legitimate call centres in India... Granted there's a percentage of them that are fully aware of what they're doing and don't care...

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I just have to say:  kudos for the Dante reference!   -   Of all the putdowns that guy has had,  and there are probably thousands,  I doubt he's heard that one before!

Just by the by,  re Openreach:  one can't help but note that it's virtually impossible for a member of the public to contact them directly,  but if you want to praise them,  there's a purpose-made provision for that.    As our American cousins say,  'go figure'.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, I received a call today, so I played along with it. Kept him hanging on for nearly 6 minutes first time, I was pretending to do what he asked. After 6 mins he got cut off but rang back. He asked me about download and upload speeds, I said they were 135 on both but managed to make  that conversation last over a couple of minutes. (BTW my speeds are no where near that). He then asked me to type in some website which i  didn't do obviously. I told him it was taking ages to load. In total, I took up nearly 17 minutes of their time before he passed me onto his supervisor who hung up within a minute. Good result I reckon. 

Definite scam, dont type in any website they say. If you have the time and patience, string them along.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi there.  I have been receiving  calls for over a week now, that cut themselves off when I answer.  All I heard before they cut off was like office noise in the background.  

For the first time this morning at 8am someone answered, foreign sounding woman, very abrupt, saying that my internet with Openreach had been compromised, and MUST be cut off for 72 hours.  When I started to question her she  became very rude and said I MUST COMPLY!  Talk about giving yourself away scammer!   

0 Ratings